Very Small Children - Do I have the small *ist* child? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Michelle, do you give Ellie probiotics? Daria had those nasty diapers also, she is dairy and soy intolerant we figured that out partially by the diapers but anyway probiotics cured that.

She now is potty trained but I started giving it to her while she was still in diapers, I couldn't take changing them anymore! I figured it couldn't hurt to try them and it might just work. I think because of all the dairy and soy she got before we figured out the allergy it trashed her stomach a bit. After the probiotics her bms became normal, regular and digested. It also was when she finally started gaining weight again.
#32 of 36 Old 07-16-2004, 03:31 PM

oh good grief, you're not alone. My daughter is almost 3 yrs old and she is about 25 lbs. She will oscillate between 24 lbs and 26.
#33 of 36 Old 07-16-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
Michelle, do you give Ellie probiotics? Daria had those nasty diapers also, she is dairy and soy intolerant we figured that out partially by the diapers but anyway probiotics cured that.
I did off and on, mostly she ate yogurt. It cleared up after awhile, I'm not really sure what was going on really. She doesn't eat yogurt anymore and occassionally drinks a small glass of Organic milk... but otherwise doesn't get large amounts of dairy (just the cheese, eggs, or milk that is cooked into our food).

It's weird that I never figured out exactly what was going on, but I'm glad it cleared up nonetheless!
#34 of 36 Old 07-17-2004, 01:49 PM

Since DD, while being very small, has always been a little larger than I was at any given age, I absolutely refuse to agree to any sort of testing when she has no signs of anything being wrong. Being small is not a medical condition

But, reading these posts, I have a question for you all... she (and I) has many very mild food allergies/sensitivities, nothing major. Dairy, for example, gives her a stuffy nose. I do limit the amounts of these foods in her diet, but she really really likes them, and as thin as she is, it's hard for me to not let her have any at all when it might be the only thing I can get her to eat at the time. KWIM? So what do you do in that situation? for example, knowing that cheese will give her a stuffy nose and make her a little grouchy, if that's the only thing I can get her to eat for a snack, should I let her eat cheese, or hold off until she's hungry enough to eat something else? I've had to cut way back on the sugar she eats, too, it was causing behavioral problems, but at least it was getting calories into the child...
And I realize the problem is mostly mine, not hers. That I have been indoctrinated into the way of thinking that skinny equates with illness in children. Even after I was taken to the doctor repeatedly my entire life because I was thin and small, and nothing was ever found to be wrong.
But I can't help but get really upset when she won't eat as much as I think she should. She had severe problems nursing as an infant, too, and I'm sure some of my anxiety is left over from a false FTT dx and threats to take my child away from me if I didn't give her formula (which caused colic and allergic reactions...). Some days she'll eat more than I would care to eat, some days she hardly eats anything at all. And everytime she has a growth spurt, she gets painfully thin, and I try so hard not to worry about it, but I still do...
what do you all do? How do you stop obsessing over how much the child eats (or doesn't eat)?
#35 of 36 Old 07-17-2004, 02:18 PM

Stacy, I just learned to realize that kids eat when hungry and don't when not. My kids between 1-2 years old went through 'ravenous' days where they ate everything in site, plus snacks! And then the next day or so would be a 'graze' day and they would pick and not eat much of anything. All I ever worried about was fluids, too much juice, milk or water will fill up a kid so they won't eat but not enough when they aren't eating causes dehydration. So I tried to strike a balance, after I stopped trying to make them eat they ate on their own schedule.

And my dd has mild dairy problems and although I don't like giving it either sometimes if all she will eat is cheese I do give her some.
#36 of 36 Old 07-17-2004, 03:16 PM

I am also wondering if my DS has a sensitivity to dairy. He refuses to drink milk and has all along. He will eat yogurt and cheese though. Sometimes it is all he will eat and is picky. I also wonder if I was to eliminate dairy from his diet altogether if it would help things. I just don't know how I would get any high fat foods into him if he can't have cheese. He is so tiny. He just turned three and weighs 23 lbs. and is 35 inches.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page