recurring weird finger rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-24-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sorry, I didn't know what else to call this thread .

Every few months, I get the same weird thing happening on one of my fingers or on my thumb - always in the same spots. It is always on the inside of my hand, not on the back. It starts out itchy and then puffs up a little, turns orange-y and looks like there are tiny bubbles just beneath the skin. After a few days it flattens out, gets itchy again, peels off very painfully and then is gone for the next several months. This time it is on my finger and I have put rubbing alcohol on it a couple of times a day and it seems to be moving along faster, but I still don't know what it is and if I am treating it appropriately.

Does anyone know what this might be? The puffy, bubbly area isn't quite as big as a dime, if that is any help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-24-2004, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe, Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. I had it years ago. The little tiny bubbles almost look like they are filled with liquid? I don't think it is at all serious.
#3 of 5 Old 07-24-2004, 06:24 PM

If it recurs like that, it's probably dyshidrotic eczema. Occurs on hands &/or feet. (Hand foot & mouth is usually a once or maybe twice kind of thing - viral disease & all). No "cure" but it can be treated with topical steroids (I personally wouldn't bother with treating it, but that's me.)

Rubbing alcohol may help a lot with the itch, and shouldn't do any harm. No worries - it's a benign annoyance.

Some of the more herbally/naturally trained mamas may have herbal/homeopathic helps for the itchies. I'm still working on herbal knowledge - trained in allopathic medicine.

Good luck!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#4 of 5 Old 07-24-2004, 06:38 PM

i HAVE HAD THE SAME THING THAT COMES AND GOES. i HAD READ SOMEWHERE THAT IT IS ALLERGY / HAYFEVER RELATED. i USE TEA TREE IOL ON MINE, SIMILAR TO THE RUBBING ALCOHOL IT SEEMS TO DRY IT OUT FASTER. i TRIED TO LOOK IT UP BUT THE DANGER OF HAVING TOO MANY REFERENCE BOOKS i CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I READ IT...

:
#5 of 5 Old 07-25-2004, 02:30 AM

Check out herptiformis dermatitis. This is linked to eating gluten. You might want to have a dermatologist check it out because if it is that and you do eat gluten, it is linked to serious health problems. The good thing is that you can clear it up by going off gluten and it often goes away completely.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page