Two health issues.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2004, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw a friend of mine tonight and she was telling me that her 6 week old ff baby has acid reflux. She said that he eats 6oz of formula mixed with cereal (supposedly per the ped) and he eats about every 5 hours. The ped put him on Zantac but she took him off because he would projectile vomit after every dose of meds.He sleeps either in his car seat or his bouncer so he is on an incline. He is on a soy based milk free formula. She is not willing to breastfeed so I am just trying to help her poor baby at this point. Any suggestions? Also someone told her that acid reflux can cause seizures in babies is that true?

The second issue is Grunting. She says he is always crabby and he grunts all the time. Her and her husband both smoke in the house with the baby and she smoked her whole pregnancy. :Puke She said they are going to smoke outside for a while to see if it helps but she didn't sound very convincing to me He was born with a heart murmer but I am not sure if he still has it. They tole her to smoke in a different room (?) at the hospital but they are not even doing that anymore. I just feel so sad for this little baby.

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 03:15 AM

That poor baby!! : He may need to go on alimentum or one of the other hypo allergenic formulas. And the grunting is a sign of something but I'll be darned if I can remember what it is right now, I think it is related to reflux babies but it could be the murmer.

I do not understand parents that do that to their kids, it's bad enough smoking while pregnant but to keep on doing it right infront of an already sick baby is horrid.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:27 PM

Grunting can be a sign of respiratory distress. The combination heart murmur (which could be a congenital heart defect... I think they should figure out what type of murmur this is) and being exposed to cig smoke (ACK!) means this poor child isn't getting the oxygen it needs. Wow, how incredibly sad, exposing a newborn to cig smoke leads to higher incidence of SIDS, ear infections, asthma... gross.

-Laura

User Tag List