Constant Bruising? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2004, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever since I had DS (5 months ago) ive been getting bruises on a regular basis. People must think my husband beats me. Anyone know the cause of this?

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 08:59 PM

I had a lot of bruises at that time too. A cop friend actually DID think DP was beating me! I started to focus on my nutrition and started taking my prenatal vitamin again and it slowly got better. HTH
Old 07-28-2004, 08:04 PM

Are they anywhere in particular? i.e. legs, arms, all over?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 PM

I had this, too. It was related to nutrition. You probably don't have this- but mine was a result of celiac disease- nutrients not being absorbed.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelko
Are they anywhere in particular? i.e. legs, arms, all over?
I get them pretty much anywhere but typically on my legs or arms. I was thinking it might be related to anemia. I was anemic during pregnancy but I figured that I probably wasnt anymore..but maybe I am. Does anemia cause bruises?

Old 07-28-2004, 08:52 PM

Please take this up with your doctor. There can be several "serious" reasons why you are having this problem.

You need to find out why you are battling anemia, if it is just diet.

Vit K helps with bleeding issue but you really need to find out if there is an underlying issue.

If I remember correctly low iron can cause bruising also.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:56 PM

I've always been easy to bruise, so it's not a concern to take to the physician for me. I do think you should talk about your concerns with your doctor who knows your history. A blood test could help clear things up.

That said, I have two thoughts, one, that you are too busy being a mama to be less clumsy, and you are concentrating on the little one and not on where your feet are.
Second, that you're a little run down and might add some iron and Vitamin C containing foods to your diet. A spinich and orange salad every other day could help you get stronger capillary walls.

Oh, and arm and leg bruises are not typical of abuse. Bruises on the head and torso are the ones that are more worrysome because they are seldom from accidents.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiansmommy
I get them pretty much anywhere but typically on my legs or arms. I was thinking it might be related to anemia. I was anemic during pregnancy but I figured that I probably wasnt anymore..but maybe I am. Does anemia cause bruises?
I don't know about the anemia.

But I have an auto immunity 'syndrome' (that's what the hematologist called it) where I am prone to bruising in my extremities. I have/had a chronic low platelet count (about half of what normal is) and a special antibody often associated, but not exclusively, with lupus.

Right before DS was born, my platelet count went up, still not normal, but significantly higher than it was, and has stayed that way for 3 years. So I do know that pregnancy can affect things like that.

It was not serious enough, in my case, to require action, but was monitored fairly closely. I was told that many people walk around with these same symptoms, but it's not something that is routinely checked for.

You should definitely see someone even if it is something nutrition/anemia related. A platelet count is easy enough to check for with a CBC blood panel.

Most importantly, I would make sure you are not taking any anti coagulants until you do get checked out - no aspirin or advil, tylenol is ok.

chelko
Old 07-28-2004, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you also prone to bad stretch marks? Maybe a small hump on your neck?

Desiree

Old 07-29-2004, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeH

I don't know if this is directed at me or the OP, but I'll answer. I've always been prone to stretch marks, even before my diagnosis. But my whole family has pretty sensitive skin, we damage/scar very easily.

Where on the neck?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeH
I got a lot of stretch marks on my tummy during pregnancy, but no lump. Im supposed to get a hemoglobin on august 2 for my 6 month post partum check, so we'll see how that turns out.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I don't know if this is directed at me or the OP, but I'll answer. I've always been prone to stretch marks, even before my diagnosis. But my whole family has pretty sensitive skin, we damage/scar very easily.

Where on the neck?
I get easy bruises too and I also have horrid stretch marks (had them before I got pregnant even on my upper arms, stomach, boobs, butt).....sometimes easy bruising can be associated with Cushings (too much production of cortisol that is sometimes caused by stress).....I even got the hump on my neck, yuck......its called a buffalo hump.....but its not like a hunchback or anything but you can definately notice a bump if you have it.

Desiree

Old 07-29-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Im supposed to get a hemoglobin on august 2 for my 6 month post partum check, so we'll see how that turns out.

Have you talked to them about the bruising? I am assuming the hemoglobin check will be done as part of a CBC panel, but you should probably make sure. This explains what the CBC looks at here.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

chelko
Old 07-30-2004, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelko
Have you talked to them about the bruising? I am assuming the hemoglobin check will be done as part of a CBC panel, but you should probably make sure. This explains what the CBC looks at here.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

chelko
They are doing it at WIC. They do it every 6 months for me because I was anemic during pregnancy. All they do is put it in a machine to see my iron level. Last time it was 8. They said thats too low.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:06 AM

Quote:
All they do is put it in a machine to see my iron level.
Can you go elsewhere to have the full panel run? It may be nothing, but you need to rule out something more serious.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What is considered excess bruising. My children are black and blue. Seriously, thier legs (All three of them) are solid bruise. But they are norwegien/sweedish and have absolutely no pigment in thier skin so every little thing shows up. Do you think I should have them checked. I never gave it a thought until I saw this thread.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
What is considered excess bruising. My children are black and blue. Seriously, thier legs (All three of them) are solid bruise. But they are norwegien/sweedish and have absolutely no pigment in thier skin so every little thing shows up. Do you think I should have them checked. I never gave it a thought until I saw this thread.

Well, if they actually fall down/bump into stuff a lot, it's probably just normal. Do they regularly bruise without known sources? Do their bruises seem excessive compared to the injury? Do their cuts seem to bleed long/excessively? These are the kinds of things to be on the lookout for. I know with the fair skin these things can seem worse. Just try and pay attention to where the bruises are coming from (I realize this might be close to impossible following 3 little ones around , but give it a shot). And if anything seems out of proportion it wouldn't hurt to bring it up to your hcp.

chelko
Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 PM

I am constantly anemic with no cause.. Honest to god.. I've been this way my whole life.. It gets better and worse.. If my hemoglobin is above 9 (the lowest of low for normal) My dr's do a happy dance.. I also am very sensitive to artificial estrogen (i.e BC pills) it makes my protien C levels drop dangerously low.. You have a couple of natural anticoagulents in your body the 2 I know about are Protien C and protein S.. My S's were ok, but my C's were dangerously low.. So basically.. I was getting small blood clots all over my body causing bruises when they would rupture the blood vessels.. I'm bloody lucky I didn't have a heart attach.. So if you are on BC and not anemic.. This might be something you should look into.. It's a fairly expensive blood test though.. 700.00 for the 2 panels..

Also.. Are you feeling lethargic, dizzy, ringing in your ears, or is it just bruising.. Those are all signs of anemia.. Again I know.. Because I have anemia, and am not just anemic at times..

HTH

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.

User Tag List