HELP! I can't decide if I should go to the doctor -- Bee Sting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2004, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Below is the OP but now I'm considering going to the doctor because the swelling is taking up a good portion of my leg and is getting more and more painful. Normally, I would wait but it's 5 PM on Friday were I live -- Dr. is only open one more hour.

I want to be told what to do, LOL!

Okay, here’s the deal – I’m a usually tough woman but 2 recent insect bites have caused me LOTS of pain. I got an ant bite last week that swelled up like a cyst and caused deep muscle pain. Then the bee sting I got yesterday actually caused me to loose my breath and heart palpitations just after the sting. Today it’s swollen up like a half soft ball, is really red and seriously painful and itchy. It’s actually making it hard for me to put weight on my leg.

This is totally new for me. Could I have developed an allergy to stinging bugs? What can I do about it? Any treatment?

The other thought I have is that I’m not used to the insects in Europe because I just moved here from the US about 1.5 years ago. I started thinking about this because I’m also sensitive to a thistle plant that we have in our garden. DH grew up here and isn’t in the least bit sensitive to them and DC was stung by a bee and didn’t even seem to notice.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Now, it's swollen in about a 12x6 inch area which is raised up at least 1.5 inches high with red path the size of my hand. It's crazy big!

Old 07-30-2004, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

bump for title edit...

I’m seriously pathetic about going to the doctor – hate it and don’t really ever go – I’m just so surprised by this. I guess I’m just worried that this reaction is a warning that I’m developing a severe allergy. I went on line but the sites deal mostly with the anaphylactic (is that right?) shock and/or very minor reactions – nothing in between.

Eww…now I’m having these weird spasms and the swelling is pulsing and changing colors – yuck.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go to the doctor!
Did you go?
Are you ok?
Old 07-30-2004, 03:24 PM

You should go to the doctor, the emergency room or at very least go see a pharmasist. Get it treated, it could be getting infected, and yes it could be an indication that you are developing a serious allergy. If you get stung again and are unprepared you could go into anaphalectic shock.
Also are you sure it was a bee sting? Did you see the bee sting you?

Please get some attention for it right away!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 04:46 PM

Prayers for you.Please let us know! Hugs,Catherine
Old 07-30-2004, 05:58 PM

GO TO THE DR!!! Please!
Old 07-31-2004, 03:25 AM

Agggh!
Go, go, go!

It does NOT sound good!
It sounds like you need to arm yourself with an epipen from now on...you may be starting to develep a severe reaction from here on out.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone - Thanks so much for your help.

I didn't end up making it in time to see a doctor and I didn't want to go to the hospital unless it got much worse and it's getting better -- Yay!

I will definitely make an appointment with an allergist on Monday. Do any o you have some good links or information about bee allergies that I could check before I go?

This just sucks big time because I'm a hobby gardener and my garden is swarming with bees, which is otherwise a good thing, YK? Urgh.

Oh, and yes, I did see the bee - it was a honey bee or a yellow jacket - don’t know the difference from looking but it did appear to be dying so it was most likely a honey bee.

I'll update you after I see the allergist - I hope, hope that this is some freak reaction from being stung twice in one week.

Thanks again!

User Tag List