HELP! I can't decide if I should go to the doctor -- Bee Sting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Below is the OP but now I'm considering going to the doctor because the swelling is taking up a good portion of my leg and is getting more and more painful. Normally, I would wait but it's 5 PM on Friday were I live -- Dr. is only open one more hour.

I want to be told what to do, LOL!

Okay, here’s the deal – I’m a usually tough woman but 2 recent insect bites have caused me LOTS of pain. I got an ant bite last week that swelled up like a cyst and caused deep muscle pain. Then the bee sting I got yesterday actually caused me to loose my breath and heart palpitations just after the sting. Today it’s swollen up like a half soft ball, is really red and seriously painful and itchy. It’s actually making it hard for me to put weight on my leg.

This is totally new for me. Could I have developed an allergy to stinging bugs? What can I do about it? Any treatment?

The other thought I have is that I’m not used to the insects in Europe because I just moved here from the US about 1.5 years ago. I started thinking about this because I’m also sensitive to a thistle plant that we have in our garden. DH grew up here and isn’t in the least bit sensitive to them and DC was stung by a bee and didn’t even seem to notice.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-30-2004, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Now, it's swollen in about a 12x6 inch area which is raised up at least 1.5 inches high with red path the size of my hand. It's crazy big!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
bump for title edit...

I’m seriously pathetic about going to the doctor – hate it and don’t really ever go – I’m just so surprised by this. I guess I’m just worried that this reaction is a warning that I’m developing a severe allergy. I went on line but the sites deal mostly with the anaphylactic (is that right?) shock and/or very minor reactions – nothing in between.

Eww…now I’m having these weird spasms and the swelling is pulsing and changing colors – yuck.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 03:12 PM
 
asherah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Swimming in the cauldron of rebirth
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go to the doctor!
Did you go?
Are you ok?
asherah is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 03:24 PM
 
mosky22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should go to the doctor, the emergency room or at very least go see a pharmasist. Get it treated, it could be getting infected, and yes it could be an indication that you are developing a serious allergy. If you get stung again and are unprepared you could go into anaphalectic shock.
Also are you sure it was a bee sting? Did you see the bee sting you?

Please get some attention for it right away!!!
mosky22 is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 04:46 PM
 
suebearsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Prayers for you.Please let us know! Hugs,Catherine
suebearsmom is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 05:58 PM
 
Jessica36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Defying Gravity
Posts: 3,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GO TO THE DR!!! Please!
Jessica36 is offline  
Old 07-31-2004, 03:25 AM
 
4under6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Crystal, MN
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agggh!
Go, go, go!

It does NOT sound good!
It sounds like you need to arm yourself with an epipen from now on...you may be starting to develep a severe reaction from here on out.
4under6 is offline  
Old 07-31-2004, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,678
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Hey everyone - Thanks so much for your help.

I didn't end up making it in time to see a doctor and I didn't want to go to the hospital unless it got much worse and it's getting better -- Yay!

I will definitely make an appointment with an allergist on Monday. Do any o you have some good links or information about bee allergies that I could check before I go?

This just sucks big time because I'm a hobby gardener and my garden is swarming with bees, which is otherwise a good thing, YK? Urgh.

Oh, and yes, I did see the bee - it was a honey bee or a yellow jacket - don’t know the difference from looking but it did appear to be dying so it was most likely a honey bee.

I'll update you after I see the allergist - I hope, hope that this is some freak reaction from being stung twice in one week.

Thanks again!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off