What do vertical splits on toenails mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-06-2004, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 18 mo dd has a vertical split down each of the big toenails. Not just a vertical ridge or line but a split in the actual nail, starting at the edge of the nail. It doesn't seem to be infected at all and doesn't seem to bother her but it looks like it'd hurt.

Her shoes fit her well and she hasn't been running around kicking walls or anything. What could cause this?

Could this be some kind of deficiency? She's a small eater, 5% for weight. She nurses and has yogurt and cheese once a day. I thought perhaps she's lacking something.
#2 of 8 Old 08-08-2004, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know. Bumping in case someone else does know.

If you have one, have you asked your ped?

I do know one thing though, openings or injury to the nails can be the start of nail fungus infection, which is very difficult to get rid of. I hope you can avoid that for her sake, it's not fun.

"What will you do once you know?"
#3 of 8 Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Meiri. I was worried about infection too. I've been spritzing it with a diluted tea tree oil solution.

I feel a bit silly making a ped. appt just for toenails. dd's never actually had a sick baby appt. And her ped. told me I "don't need to come back" for the 18mo WBC - that was after I kept refusing the MMR. Maybe I'll just go demand an 18mo WBC. I like to keep track of weight anyhow.

I kinda like to know the answer/solution to the problem BEFORE I go to the doctor, if that makes sense. I'm afraid they'll give me some spiel about BM not having enough calcium or something.
#4 of 8 Old 08-09-2004, 10:59 AM

Is she a new or still semi-stumbly walker? I've split my toenails before doing the dumbest things (once just bumping my foot into the doorframe in our bathroom) ..

Does she have psoriasis? That can sometimes cause nail splits .. so can not getting enough protein. Usually when it happens to me though, i just spray it with diluted TTO 2-3x a day, and rub in a little nail oil or olive oil at night. You COULD put superglue in the split to keep it from splitting further, like my mom used to do, but I think it's kinda nasty.
#5 of 8 Old 08-09-2004, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

She's been walking now for about 6 months and is pretty stable so I don't think it's that. She's eating beans, yogurt, BM and I hide pureed meat in her food too so she should be getting enough protein but she's such a small eater, I often wonder about the quantities.

But funny you mention psoriasis. I've had it in the past but not too serious. And dd had dry ecxema (sp?) like cracks in her toes a few months ago. I had that as a child too. I'd been putting Eucarin cream on that and keeping socks on her and it healed the skin, so I stopped doing about a month or two ago. I think I'll start putting it on again and see if it helps.

Thanks!
#6 of 8 Old 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why wait for an 18 month check? It's not silly to take her to the doc for something you are concerned about and can't find information on.

Alternatively, you should be able to call the office and ask for the doc to call you back.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 8 Old 08-09-2004, 05:26 PM

I was thinking nutrition, but all that's coming up is psoriasis or exposure to harsh chemical solvents.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#8 of 8 Old 08-09-2004, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Meiri, yes that's true. I guess I'm hesitant because dd's healthcare is in a MAJOR military hospital and it's a major event going there.

Apricot, that's all I found too. And I barely put any baby bath cleanser on her, I'm stingy with the soap cause of her tendency to ecxema.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page