Baby choking on mucous! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-20-2004, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby has a really bad head cold, no coughing or anything. The discharge is constant but clear-runny and she's running a low fever (99.9). What concerns me is that 3 times today she's stopped breathing for a few seconds, and her face turns deep red. Just as I'm about to turn her over and pound her back and call 911 she coughs and a big gob of clear bubbly mucous comes out. The last time she did it she coughed that stuff up and then vomited.

The vomiting part is not unusual because she has reflux problems. What I think is happening is her nose is draining down the back of her throat and a big gob comes down every so often and chokes her. I'm trying to clear her nose with the bulb syringe. I'm just scared to go to sleep tonight in case she does it again! Like I said, the cold is not in her chest, and the only time she coughs is when that thing happens where I think it's at the back of her throat.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone heard of this before??

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 6 Old 08-21-2004, 01:06 AM

When she seems to get really stuffed up, put a few drops of saline nasal drops (you can get them at the pharmacy, they are over the counter) up her nose. Let them sit there for a couple of minutes, and then suck out her nose with the blue bulb syringe; if you don't have it from being discharged from the hospital, you can get one usually at Walmart or Target. The saline drops help break up the mucus and thin it out a bit.

Also, nurse nurse nurse. Hydrating her as much as possible will help keep the secretions thin.

I'm sorry it's so scary...I'd probably sleep with her laying on my chest, with me reclining in a big lazy-boy chair or on the sofa.

You should also consider having her seen by a doctor. She could have some swelling that is constricting her airway, making her more prone to choking on the postnasal drainage.

Hope this is helpful...I hope she is feeling better soon!

Lori
#3 of 6 Old 08-21-2004, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for responding! I do suction her nose out that way. I don't nurse (or bottlefeed for that matter), baby gets most of her nutrition through her NG tube that runs from her nose down to her stomach. I wonder if that's causing it to build up, and then it kinda falls out all at once? Scary! Glad she's getting the tube in her tummy in 2 weeks so we can be rid of that NG tube. Maybe I should take her in tomorrow though.

Right now she's in her swing. I'll probably either hold her on my chset tonight or just move the swing next to our bed. Ugh, I hate when they are sick!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 6 Old 08-21-2004, 01:28 AM

I would contact her doc. I wasn't aware of her ng tube; I wonder if that is dulling her ability to swallow/respond appropriately to the mucus, and allowing her to choke on it more. I also wonder if the tube is irritating her nasal passages and actually causing the drainage in the first place. Is she receiving pumped breastmilk, or formula, or what? If she is receiving something other than breastmilk, depending upon her age, the doc might want to add more water/clear liquids to her intake, to increase her hydration.

If I ever have a true concern like this, I don't hesitate to call the doc. That's why they earn their money...it's their job. And you aren't the reason they didn't get a good night's sleep. I used to work at the hospital overnights; we were always paging the on-call docs. So, even if you end up calling at three am, I'll bet 10 other parents and many more nurses have already called with questions and concerns.

Keep us posted on how she's doing!

Lori
#5 of 6 Old 08-21-2004, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again! I'll have to call her in the morning. She's not on call at night and if it's an emergency I'm to take her to ER. Which I am not willing to do on a Friday night. KWIM?

Anyway, she's getting formula (and some thawed breastmilk now that she can finally tolerate it-- has other health issues that caused her to be put on hypo formula for several months , . . ) but I flush her tube out with water several times a day. She's very well hydrated. Normally she's not stuffy with the tube in, just now because she has this bad cold (3yo and I also have it). I'll bet the tube is what's causing her problems then. Because I've nursed little ones through colds before and never had this choking thing happen!

Darshani

#6 of 6 Old 08-21-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Took both girls to the ped today and they both have the start of ear infections. 3yo also has bronchitus. Normally I would not do antibiotics until we had given it a chance to resolve on its own, but baby is going for surgery in 2 weeks. I have to get her healthy or they won't do it (and it took a huge effort to get it scheduled this soon).

Hopefully they'll both be feeling better soon. Thanks for your help!

Darshani

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page