im sick, need nursing safe herbs/homeo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-20-2002, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, i have been sick for a week now with the nastiest cold i have had in years. my 5 month old has a mild version of it, he just has some post nasal drip and an occasional dry cough. otherwise hes been fine. me, i had a high fever for 4 days(102, 101) , then it lowerd down to 99 for a day or so, and i have been fever free for the last 2 or 3 days. i also have the most horeendous case of post nasal drip, (but not a runny nose, oddly enough) an incredibly sore throat with white bumps, and a hacking cough, which is all worse at night. to top it off i am absolutly hoarse. i saw a doc on monday to check for strep and it was negative. but i am still miserable and wondering if the test was wrong or if i have some other kind of infection. i dont have health insurance and really would like to just do herbs over the weekend to see if i improve, and if not i will go to the health dept clinic on Monday.

if i wasnt nursing i would just be slamming down the herbs but i am afraid to do that now. i cant even eat spicy stuff because of DS's tummy.

specifically i was wondering if the homeopathic cold remedies are safe. i found one at the health food store that looks perfect but now i cant remember what it was called. it said nursing moms shoud check with a physician so i didnt buy it.

also does anyone have some butt-kicking cold remeides that i can do?

does anyone know if white bumps on the throat ALWAYS mean strep?

i have taken sudafed at the Doc's advice a couple times and it helped me feel better, and i also take ibuprofen to make my throat stop hurting so much so i can sleep. i really only feel "good" when i am on one of these things but i know they arent really helping my cold actually go away. plus id rather do herbs.

thank you so much! i just cant stand this anymore!
#2 of 5 Old 07-20-2002, 10:08 AM

If there is a cough - it is not strep.

I was recently in the horrible cough position and used B & T's expectorant cough syrup. It has less than 1% alcohol and is homeopathic. It helped somewhat. I felt the only thing that would have really done the trick was a narcotic cough syrup which I would not take as I am nursing, too.

You might try Calms Forte to help you relax a little when you try to sleep and also I used several pillows to be upright.

I know this isn't much help. Sorry.
#3 of 5 Old 07-21-2002, 04:42 AM

Hello Stirringleaf, sorry you feel so bad! There are a few things you can do that will hopefully help and that are safe-

Wild cherry bark tea will help with the cough, make this with thyme as it is an expectorant and will also help thin your mucous. Lemon balm and catnip will also help, and will relax you.

another good sore throat tea: mix slippery elm bark, hyssop and sage. you could also use slipery elm lozenges.

grapefruit seed extract is yucky but works great, you can use it as a gargle as well-5-10 drops in a glass of water for a gargle. or drink 3-5 drops in 6oz of water 3-4x for up to 3 days.

Take lots of vit. c, echinacea, I would take a dose of each every two hours starting now for the next day at least. add bioflavinoids as well. zinc in lozenge form.

The homeopathic medicines are safe to take while nursing, I think they are required to put that on the label of anything *just in case*. But homeopathics are extremely safe to use while nursing and pregnant.

and eucalyptus oil in the bath or a humidifier always helps.

hope this helps you feel better soon! ~Holly
#4 of 5 Old 07-23-2002, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

holly, thank you so much for your post. i am both happy and sad to report that i dint get to use any of the remedies you suggested , cuz i just didnt get back to the computer for a day or so, and then fianlly today i am starting to feel human!!! hooray!! it was 9 days of that stupid cold and i am glad it is one! i WILL be printing out your post though, for next time...

i was wondering about slippery elm and thought for some reason it wasnt safe. this is good news for me vuz i have a stomach ulcer that flares up and slippery elm has always been my medicine for that.

soooo.. thanks for your help. if i were still feeling cruddy today i would have run out and got alot of that stuff.

take care,
stirringleaf
#5 of 5 Old 07-23-2002, 02:28 AM

You're welcome! I'm glad you're feeling better. Slippery elm is my drug of choice as well You can also give it to your child if they have any digestive upsets, especially constipation, it's a nutritional supplement as well. Take care. ~Holly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page