Croup - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-31-2002, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello
My 22 month old has the croup. We've done the hot steamy shower, but there doesn't seem to be much else in print. Any experiences or ideas shared would be appreciated very much!
Lynne
#2 of 8 Old 07-31-2002, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
That is pretty much it - lots - and i mean LOTS of fluid and steam up the bathroom really good and sit in it for about 20 minutes. My sis got this every year for several years. I am sure the docs gave her antibiotics - but I can't remember.
good luck!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 07-31-2002, 02:06 AM

My son just had this this last winter, he was about 22 months also. Is she nursing? Ds had already weaned at this point, so we didn't let him drink any milk (makes phlegm MUCH worse), pushed clear water (no juice, can also make phlegm worse), had him sleep in a semi-sitting position, rubbed and actively patted his back (to break up mucus in the lungs, etc to help his cough be more productive) but ulitimatly I had to take him to the e.r., he was just laboring so hard to breath, his airway was so swollen and enflamed from all that coughing, etc. They had him breath in some epinephren (sp?) and immediatly he was breathing clearer. He also had a very high fever (almost 105) and they gave him both acetomenophin and ibuprophen to bring it down, make him more comfortable, and reduce the swelling in his airway. He did much better from there on out.
Ugh, I sure feel for you!! Hang in there!! I hope she doesn't get to the point where she needs to go to the e.r...but if her breathing gets real labored and you are worried, please don't hesitate to take her! I was so relieved as my sweet baby sat on my lap, breathing in the epenephrin, and seeing him being able to breath again. And then once the meds kicked in he was laughing and giggling again. I knew I had made the right choice to bring him in!!
Good luck!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#4 of 8 Old 07-31-2002, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

DS is sleeping now, but when he stirs, he has that horrible cough! He is still nursing at night and in the morning, so I was able to nurse him tonight. I know milk isn't the best, but the nursing calmed him down considerably! My friends son had to go to er for dehydration during the croup, so I am glad he is still nursing. I don't think he needs to go to the er yet, so far his breathing is only slightly labored! This is so upsetting because he sounds so bad!
Thanks for the help, and encouragement!
Lynne
#5 of 8 Old 07-31-2002, 02:35 AM

I guess I forgot to add in my post that if you are still nursing him then great!!! I don't think you need to try and cut down on that....Mamma's milk is the remedy for everything!! I was meaning to say that if he drank cow's milk to not let him. It's late.....
Glad he is sleeping. I know how stressful it can be!!!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#6 of 8 Old 07-31-2002, 11:11 PM

my dd had croup at 1 yr old andwe used homeopathy it last 2 1/ days and it was gone and lots of Vit c (sodium ascorbate form)
hope this helps
#7 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

We went yesterday and got Hylands Cough yesterday, but we couldn't find anything croup specific! What are you using?
Lynne
#8 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 12:40 PM

it was a single remedy my homeopath recommended
it would depend on your babies symptoms

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page