Worried about my girls' weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2002, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my kids are getting fat. I would never say anything to them about it... I mean, my body image is warped enough I would NEVER do that to my children... but I worry about them. Heart disease runs rampant through my family and I know that they are discovering CHILDREN with arteries starting to clog as young as the age of 2. This all worries me greatly!!!
Anyway, I have noticed that all 3 kids are starting to get bellies on them... they've never had "fat" that you could see. But all 3 have bellies now in front & around the side.

Emily is 44 inches tall & 45.5 lbs

Juliana is 42.5 inches tall & 43 lbs

Abigail is 38.5 inches tall & 34.5 lbs. Abi is still young enough (4) that I'm not *as* concerned about her, but I really worry about the other two.

Okay, I'm trying to get them to be more active (outside play, playgrounds, going for walks etc etc) but they really would prefer to sit & make a sand castle, or sit & read etc etc - very stationary stuff. We eat a fairly healthy diet. No red meat or pork, and chicken or turkey 2 or 3 times a week, a lot of vegetables & fruit. Very little "added" fat (i.e. butter, margarine, oil etc) The only really processed food in the house is Mr. Noodles (which they have maybe 1 or 2 times a week) and breakfast cereal (Shreddies, Corn Flakes, Cheerios & Weetabix - nothing with sugar in the first 3 or 4 ingredients listed)

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions on how to get them more active/ eat better so that they won't keep getting fat? No one please blast me, I just worry about their health a lot!

Andra, married to Emen, mom to Emily (Aug 95) Juliana (Oct 96) and Abigail (May 98)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2002, 09:50 AM

I think you are already doing the right thing. Providing them only healthy thing to eat and encouraging more active time. When my two middle children started to put on weight, I couldn't figure it out out. They eat pretty well and were active. Then I realized they were drinking tons of juice and being teens lots of Coke (not at home!) We started buying only water to drink and that helped alot.
Do you all have bikes? Family bike rides are a great way to spend time tigether and get some exercise. Our local YMCA has many activities geared to all age groups..the classes are usually reasonably priced.
My kids get a huge kick out of blasting the stereo and dancing til we drop!!
Good Luck!!

peggy
Old 08-05-2002, 04:40 AM

Dancing is the best. They can get their yaya's out without having to get their sneakers on ...

Has your doctor said anything about their weight? If you said that in the original post and I missed it, sorry ...

- Amy

User Tag List