Recurring Strep throat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-04-2002, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (6) has had several bouts of strep in the last year. Today she was again diagnosed with strep and put on antibiotics. She had not pain or fever, just horrible bad breath (I am not exaggerating here, it was so awful!) and a few little white spots. I thought she has those things on her tonsils where food debris get stuck, but the culture was positive. Usually when she has strep she vomits a lot and has a wicked sore throat. She does have big tonsils and is a restless sleeper, but no apnea that I have noticed. 22I heard somewhere that you can be a strep carrier -- ie have it all the time. Anybody out there know?
#2 of 7 Old 08-04-2002, 01:23 AM

I used to be a lot like your dd when I was her age- I got strep 6-8 times a year. Yuck! I haven't ever heard of someone being a carrier thoug. I ended up getting my tonsils and adenoids out when I was eight becuase I was getting strep so much and my tonsils were huge. Large tonsils and/or adenoids can do a lot to impare breathing at night- I was a horrible snorer until I had the surgery. It's helped, although I still get strep once or twice a year. Good luck- I hate strep!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#3 of 7 Old 08-05-2002, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I already posted in the tonsils/adenoids thread, but before you resort to surgery I do have some other tips:

If your daughter isn't allergic to penicillin, request penicillin injection rather than another antibiotic. For me, this was a much more effective treatment than amoxicillin and such, in terms both of getting better quickly and of not relapsing so soon. The shot is painful, but I preferred it once I'd tried oral penicillin (big pills of MOLD, blech!), and it does work faster than oral medication. Of course, these days the strep going around may be all penicillin resistant.

As soon as she begins recovering, replace or wash anything she's been using in or near her mouth: toothbrush, bedding, bathroom drinking cup, winter scarf, etc. Took me YEARS to realize I was reinfecting myself that way!:

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#4 of 7 Old 08-05-2002, 02:22 PM

When I was young, my tonsils were HUGE! (I had one doctor jump up and down in joy when they were golf ball size! I think they are suppose to be peanut size)... I also was getting a lot of strep throats (don't remember details since I was 5ish at the time) EVERY doctor my mom took me to said surgrey, my mom's gut was allergies, and I was glad she went with her gut!!! I ended up having a dairy allergy, where I would eat a small amount (1 bite!) and my tonsil would swell more and I would get strep throat. I also had (ok bad spelling here ) epsteanbar and silamegaly (told ya!) with it. I saw a ND (one that is a doctor of Chinese medicine, that also does homapothy) and took several years, but got them down...

I would investigate allergies as a cause, also with all that antibiotics her immune system is problem in shock! An Acidophlis or something similar would help her, they put the good bacteria back into your system... I hope you find something to help her soon!
#5 of 7 Old 08-05-2002, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes! The toothbrush! I never even thought of it. Thanks everyone.
#6 of 7 Old 08-07-2002, 03:59 PM

Cats can be carriers as well as humans. I had strep many times as
a child although I didnt have the text book symptoms. I am now allergic to penicillin due to taking it everytime I had strep.
Turned out my Grandmother was a carrier.
#7 of 7 Old 08-08-2002, 05:56 PM

Momto l&a, where did you get the info that cats can carry strep strains that can be transmitted to humans? My husband is a large animal vet with a M.S. in preventive medicine, especially the study of zoonoses (diseases that transmit between species). He couldn't remember ever hearing anything about cats carrying strep that transmits to humans. I'd really like to know more about this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page