Does anyone know of health risks form living near a gas station?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-01-2004, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe that it is even happening, but they are building a gas staion RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET form me. Probably about 300 feet. I'm going to look right at it out my front window!!!

it was an empty field when we bought here. No plans filed with the county yet, but talk that the area was to be retail shopping, at my worst fear they would put in a fast food restaurant, but this???

Moving is out of the question right now, but I was wondering if there are any immediate health risks for me and my family, I have a 19 month old daughter.

stupid planned suburb communities...........
#2 of 7 Old 10-02-2004, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping...........
Anyone????
#3 of 7 Old 10-02-2004, 09:57 PM

Well, I live in the middle of nowhere (pop. 1500) but it so happens that our house is right next door to the gas station. The gas pumps themselves are probably about 25-30 feet from our front door. I admit I never thought of health hazards beyond the obvious (occasional gas fumes). If you find out anything let me know.
#4 of 7 Old 10-02-2004, 11:04 PM

This link might help...I did a search on this website for gas stations and this is what came up. You might also try a search using gasoline as well.
http://checnet.org.master.com/texis/...+stations&s=SS
#5 of 7 Old 10-03-2004, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! I printed some info and contacted them for more also!!!
#6 of 7 Old 10-14-2004, 03:35 PM

Locally (Maryland) there have been recent issues with gas additive leakage and water contamination. Do a goodle search of MTBE (the additive) and groundwater. and take a peek at www.environmentalhealthnews.org --- I *think* the issues are with OLD stations and storage tanks, but you should definitely check it out!
#7 of 7 Old 10-31-2004, 11:53 AM

In my new issue of Carbusters, they cite a study from "Occupational and Environmental Medicine" that children living near gas stations were 4 times more likely to develop leukemia because of exposure to benzene. You should be able to call around to university libraries to find soemone who has the journal, if you can't get it online.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page