battery acid burn from kids toy! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 2 Old 08-09-2002, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
rwikene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Burlington, WA
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I was at the house of two little girls that I nanny. I am usually very careful about what toys they have in the downstairs toybox that my 9 mo old DD plays in. Anyhow, she got out a toy from the toybox and was playing with a battery operated toy, I assumed it was safe and was across the room visiting with the mother of the two little girls. When I turned around DD had gotten a battery out of the back of the toy, so I rushed over there to take the battery out of her hand....but unfortunatly she was able to get the battery into her mouth before I could take it away!

When I got to her, I noticed she had something that I assumed was hives on her chin, I wondered outloud what that could be from, since she hadn't had any new foods in the past few days. The other mom assured me that her daughter used to get hives all the time from things like dust, maybe my dd had sensitive skin. So I cleaned DD's face with a wet washcloth, she didn't seem to be in any pain, it just looked awful though!

This afternoon I had to take my dh to the doc b/c he is sick, and mentioned the rash on her face. The doc said it was definatly battery acid burn

The family will be out of town for the week, but when I go back I am going to THROW AWAY those batteries and warn the mother about reusing batteries.....

Just a warning for you all....btw doc said some aloe vera will help,
DD still doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Rachel
rwikene is offline  
#2 of 2 Old 08-10-2002, 11:46 AM
 
leafylady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southeastern Illinois
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank goodness she didn't get any down her throat!!

Batteries are very scary. I've noticed that a lot of the kids toys have battery compartments that must be opened with a philips screwdriver. This is the best because the little kids can't open them. Tell your friend to look for those types of toys, not anything that can pop open.
leafylady is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off