New here...any tips for alopecia? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-13-2004, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am new here but I am always on the lookout for natural remedies so I hope to learn a lot here and maybe at some point contribute something as well

My husband has had alopecia areata in varying degrees for pretty much his whole life. As a child the patch was always small enough to be able to cover with surrounding hair. About 3 years ago it progressed to the point where he now shaves his head. He has hair regrowth all the time but then new patches start (if you took a picture from year to year the bald spots would be in completely different areas - all on his head though...never progressed anywhere further) Does anyone have any ideas as to suppliments or anything that I could give him to help? He went to the doctor (something he hates doing) when the hair loss got particularly bad. The dr checked his thyroid via bloodwork - found nothing. Advised my husband that he could try steroid shots which probably wouldn't work anyways (my husband would not have agreed to them in any event)

Any ideas/advice would be great!!

TIA,

Kelly (35), married to DH and living happily with DD (8), DS (6), DS (3) and introducing brand new baby James b. 1/5/11, always remembering ~Joseph~ b/d March 10, 2001. 
#2 of 2 Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

I  just  found  your  message....

I'm a mother  of two with  number  3  on  the  way. My  DD  (aged  7) has  ad  alopecia areata  since she  was  4. It  is  a  mild-moderate form... she  is  often  fine  and   sometimes  has  bald patches, particularly  in  spring.... then  it  all grows  back in summer...  then  in  winter  maybe  she  gers  one patch...  and  it becomes worse  in  spring  with  maybe 4-5  patches.

I  recently  had her  tested for  allergies (none) and  food  intolerance (waiting  for  results). 

Her  blood  tests  are otherwise totally  fine and  she  is a  very  healthy child,  except from very moderate atopic reactions on  face/arms from time t time.

She  is  currently  taking  biotin  and  zinc  phosphate  following  orders from doc...

Thank  you for reading

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page