Mothering Forum banner

Breast question :)

691 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  BeeandOwlsMum 
#1 ·
Mods: I am not sure if this is the best place for this, so feel free to move if needed.)

I have a strange question. My breast have never ached pre-period, like many women. Recently, say, the last 4-5 months, my breasts have gotten very sore and swollen, almost 2 weeks before starting my period. I am not sure if it is period related, or not....but the strange part is, they are leaking at this time too. I have a 5 year old, that weaned about 18 months ago, and as of 6 months ago, I could express NOTHING. So to have them leaking when the swell and hurt, is very bizarre. I get almost a "let down" like prickly feeling. Any one have any words of wisdoms? Thoughts? Etc?

#3 ·
Right, but She weaned a year ago March...so a good year and a half ago, and i could express milk, for a year, but then couldn't for months, now suddenly can. I do self breast exams, and no strange anything....also, the little glands...i can't remember what they are called, are more prominant. But I am not pregnant. I had a scare last month, positive home tests, but blood tests etc were negative, and I have had normal periods since then. But this happened a couple months prior to that as well.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys
...It is wierd...and I wouldnt give it a thought if there were not such strange other changes along with it...like the suddenly often swollen and sore breasts, the 3 false positive pregnancy tests, my having a mental breakdown every other day
, and things that are just very abnormal for me, and all out of nowhere?!?

#12 ·
This might sound weird, but maybe ask about this over on the trying to conceive board? Some of the ladies over there are hormone experts. They might have something to tell you about your post-luteal ovulation phase or whatever. Tell you to check your mucus and see what it is doing, etc.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaryLLL
This might sound weird, but maybe ask about this over on the trying to conceive board? Some of the ladies over there are hormone experts. They might have something to tell you about your post-luteal ovulation phase or whatever. Tell you to check your mucus and see what it is doing, etc.
Awesome, thank you so much

#14 ·
I stopped bf'ing 14months ago and I get it too. My AF's are consistently getting lighter, my breasts are hurting when they never did before unless I was pg and then it was only after someone had mentioned it to me so IMO it was power of suggestion. I still have colostrum and can express it. I did it a few times to try and get rid of a plantars wart and the next next they were definitly bigger and had more milk in them. My breasts hurt from the day of ovulation(charting CM) until 2 days after AF arrives, roughly 2 weeks.

Ironically, at the market(I put a table in each week) a lady came up just to look. She was probably late 30's-mid 40's. She said she's done that stage as she was walking away she crossed her arms over her chest and laughed saying she can still feel the letdown.

I find myself crossing my arms over mine too because I get the letdown feeling alot. I haven't tested, dh had a vasectomy 2 years ago. I am paranoid(and will be until I know for sure I have gone through menopause so roughtly another 20+ years) about getting pg again.

#15 ·
Hmmm, definetely sounds like a hormonal something going on.

When you got the Preg test, what kind was it? Quantitative or qualitative?

My breasts never used to get tender before my period, but now at 30, they do every cycle. SO some of that comes with age as well.

I would suggest getting one more quant. beta, to see if there is any HCG in your system, and see if there is a possibility of an early m/c that might be throwing your system off. I would also get a check for your prolactin levels, it is possibly that you might have a prolactinoma, not usually serious, but can cause some of these symptoms.

You say you have had period since you had the positive HPTs? Have they been normal periods? Where are you in your cycle now?

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdinaL
Hmmm, definetely sounds like a hormonal something going on.

When you got the Preg test, what kind was it? Quantitative or qualitative?

My breasts never used to get tender before my period, but now at 30, they do every cycle. SO some of that comes with age as well.

I would suggest getting one more quant. beta, to see if there is any HCG in your system, and see if there is a possibility of an early m/c that might be throwing your system off. I would also get a check for your prolactin levels, it is possibly that you might have a prolactinoma, not usually serious, but can cause some of these symptoms.

You say you have had period since you had the positive HPTs? Have they been normal periods? Where are you in your cycle now?

I am mid cycle now, roughly ovulation ....and my period was kind of normal...heavy and shorter, but not freakish at all...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.