which essential oils soothe migraines? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-18-2002, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know which essential oils, if any, are good for soothing migraine headaches? I have a freind who has been suffering and would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
#2 of 8 Old 08-18-2002, 07:20 PM

for myself, i use some peppermint on my temples and maybe take a whiff of lavendar, or a lavendar bath. i bought a "migraine mix" but don't recall exactly what oils it contained other than the above mentioned. if i catch my migraine early on it can help, doesn't if it's too far along. good luck
#3 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 01:56 AM

I don't know about essentioal oils, but I have started taking fever few one dose twice daily. (Ind the past I have used a calcium channel blocker to prevent, Botax to prevent, and several to stop when they occur.) I average two-three a weeks especially around AF, I have only been on fever few for one month and have only had one minor migraine. Huge jump for me. I haven't even taken my mazalt at all to stop that one I just tripple dosed on the fever few. I have a great herbshop just a block away and the owner is a liscenced herboligist or something of the kind. The fever few wasn't that expensive it was about $20 for a bottle of 100 which I think will last about 2mos. Mybe you could also suggest this...I know I would usually take anything to get a headache to stop, even if it meant going to doctor for a shot of demoral...usually only went after first 48hr when I could no longer take any more Rx dosoes.
#4 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 07:40 PM

I got migraines for the first ( & thankfully ONLY times) when I was pg and the midwives had me take feverfew. It worked for me most times - took it right as I felt them coming on. Also used a lavendar eye pillow when I had them...

hope that helps - I have always been headache prone but never migraines - when I got them I just cried and all I could do was feel sorry for people that got them all the time!
#5 of 8 Old 08-21-2002, 09:59 AM

The best thing I have found for a migraine is to eat a banana and place the peel, gushy side down on the back of your neck at the hairline. Message it into the hair lightly. Use 1/4 of the peel at a time untill the whole peel is used. Should take a few hours.

It is a little messy but very effective.
#6 of 8 Old 08-21-2002, 04:29 PM

According to my aromatherapy decoder/chart the best essential oils for a migraine are peppermint, chamomile, grapefruit, lavender, basil, and rose. Hope that helps.
#7 of 8 Old 08-23-2002, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I may get her a little lavender oil.
#8 of 8 Old 08-25-2002, 12:22 AM

I don't know anything about the principles of aromatherapy, but whenever I get a migraine, I find most odors quite painful. When I'm in migraine mode, the only odors I can tolerate are peppermint, rosemary, and to a lesser extent, eucalyptus. One of my favorite migraine therapies is a very warm bath with a few drops of rosemary oil in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page