Ol' gasbag... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-19-2002, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's me! This is a really embarassing question, but does anyone else out there suffer from daily gas and abdominal pain? I eat a really good diet (mostly). Whole grain, high fiber cereal and fruit with soy milk for breakfast, salad with protein source (tofu, tuna, eggs, beans) for lunch, protein (chicken, fish, etc), veggies for dinner. I snack on fruit or veggies mostly. I eat a lot of raw food (fruits, veggies). I mean alot. While I am making dinner I eat a pepper or 2 whioe I am cutting up the veggies for everyone else. I probably eat a ound or more of fruit a day. I suspect it may be my high fiber cereal or the soy milk. I usually start experiencing the pain and gas around 2-3 pm. Okay, and the really embarassing part -- it really stinks! I don't drink milk except in my am tea (which does have caffeine, but subsequent cups usually do not). Any thought? Any suggestions? Anyone know anything about probiotics? Thanks. And, btw, you can all stop laughing now!
#2 of 4 Old 08-19-2002, 03:36 AM

After the birth of my now 3 year old, I had lots of problems with gas and such. The doctor said it was probably due to my hormones and would stop when I stopped nursing. Two months after I finished nursing it was still going on, with abdominal pain, as well as alot of yucky poops. She thought it was my irritable bowel. After about 4 or 5 visits, I begged her to do a stool sample (I was beginning to fear cancer) to check for parasites. She insisted I didn't have parasites as I was living in Norway at that time and it is rare. The day I went to take the sample, no lie, I look down at my poop and there was a worm about 5 inches long!!! I was disgusted but relieved. She was shocked - I had roundworms. Common to south america and such but not Europe!

I figure I got them from organic vegetables that were coming from all over the world. My entire family had to take the medecine, but I was the only one who had them. The nurse said that probably we were all exposed, but I was the only one who couldn't fight them off, probably didn't have enough acid in my system. Now I take acidophilous tablets.
#3 of 4 Old 08-20-2002, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Now I am really scared! I do not have the yucky poops problem. I poop fairly well (All that fiber you know). I noticed yesterday when I did not have time to eat my usual breakfast and had a nutrition bar instead that I did not have the problem. Hmmm. I worry about parasites too, since I do eat a lot of organic stuff and also sushi. Thanks for the tip. Any body else on my windy issues?
#4 of 4 Old 08-22-2002, 01:07 AM

I've had the same "windy" problem and various abdominal problems which, in hindsight, I realize go back to childhood (when I didn't know that constant constipation was not normal!) Can't offer any magic solutions but I've recently started food combining, and though I'm not suddenly cured, I've experienced wonderful relief already. The bare basicsa are separate carbs from proteins and don't eat fruit with any other foods. These types of foods require different types of digestive fluids, and when thrown all together end up basically rotting in the digestive tract. Try Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond; the tone is a bit sensationalist but they give back up to what they're talking about. Also Jonn Matsen's book that, at this hour, I simply can't remember the name of. I'd like to hear any feedback if anybody else has used this method.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page