Relief for Shingles... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-19-2002, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP!! Can anyone give my some advice on how to relieve the pain of shingles, and facilitate a faster healing? This is really starting to scare me, as I hear of peolple being in pain for months/years. The only information I've been able to find offers anti-viral meds, and strong pain killers. I certainly don't want to go that route!

I first broke out 10 days ago, and seemed to be getting better last week. But yesterday the pain came back with a vengence, and of course my ND is on vacation this week! So far I've received one B12 injection. I've been taking an oral B complex and Echinacia for immune suppport, and also applying Licrojel (licorice root) topically. I'll take otc pain meds when the pain gets really bad, but last night they where not in the least bit affective.

There must be something else I can do! If anyone can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-19-2002, 06:44 PM

I read the Green Pharmacy a while back. IIRC I saw something about Melissa (Lemon Balm) being a potent anti viral. Perhaps you should consider drinking lemon balm tea or making a salve with this herb?
#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2002, 09:58 PM

I had MARVELOUS results using acupuncture. I was in absolute agony walking into the office, had no pain when the needles were in me, and was much better when I left. The following year, when I felt like I was getting a recurrence of shingles, I went for acupucnture again, and never got the outbreak.

Good luck!

Mama to four great girls: 14 , 12 , 7 and 4
#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2002, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'll get some Lemon Balm and try some tea tonight.

I also thought of acupunture. But since my doctor is out of town this week, I'll have to wait until next week before I can get her to refer someone. I will certainly give it a try next week!

Thanks again for the ideas
#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2002, 10:10 PM

I work in a complimentary med. practice. We have a homeopathic remedy that really helps. YOu take it orally and spray it on the painful area. If you are interested, PM me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page