Emergency info needed QUICK! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are normal respirations and bpm for a 4 yr old? Emmet's been really sick and he's at 35 resp/min and his heart is about 120-150....both taken while he was asleep! I'm contemplating taking him to the ER right now
#2 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 08:13 AM

Can you call the ER???

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#3 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 08:51 AM

One of my little home medical books says "abnormal" breathing for 1 to 5 year olds would be more than 40 per minute.

I would say if your gut is telling you something might be wrong, that you have him be seen by someone.
#4 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 09:08 AM

I hope Emmett is feeling better, but in your post in TAO, it sounds like Asthma. Please, please, please take him to the doctor! When my dd was 3, she had a bad cold and had a bad asthma attack. We had no idea she had asthma. I called the doctor in the middle of the night because she was having difficulty breathing and was given very bad advice by the nurse on call: to keep her at home and come see the doctor in the morning. I'm getting all worked up just writing this even though it was 6 years ago. My dd became worse and could have died. It was an awful, awful experience. We found out later that she actually saw her guardian angel.

I should have ignored the nurse and just taken her to the ER in the middle of the night. Anyway, she recovered, thank God, but I've learned to take Asthma very seriously. Do you have a nebulizer? These work better than a simple inhaler. Happily, dd's asthma seems to be better. She hasn't needed to use the nebulizer in almost 2 years, and hasn't been on steroids for 5 years, but we always keep an inhaler handy.
#5 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 09:18 AM

Treelove if your mother's warning bells are ringing GO and get help regardless of resp rate
#6 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 11:44 AM

Treelove~

(((HUG)))). My ds also has asthma and has had attacks at home. It is so scarey to watch your dear child struggling to breath. During my ds last attack during the middle of the night and after having 3 nebulizer treatments and that not helping, my dh suggested him drinking cocoa and sitting in the bathroom with the hot shower going and him inhaling steam. It WORKED!!!!! That was the only thing that calmed him down. I still did take him to the MD the next day because I wanted to make sure he was o.k. The MD said that we did the right thing, but if that hadn't have worked, then we should have taken him in to the ER.

Best of Luck and hope your little guy is doing o.k. this a.m. Please let us know how he is doing!!!

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#7 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Ememt does have asthma from being born so early. Thankfully he only gets it when he has a cold-not with execise or allergies, etc.

I took him to the pedi and he had another updraft there and I was told to give him another updraft now and another at 3:30pm. If he still sounds cruddy they are going to admit him to the hospital, but if he sounds better we can go home.

Keep your fingers crossed!
#8 of 8 Old 08-20-2002, 10:14 PM

Sending you guys healing hugs!!!

Take Care~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page