Mastitis Help Needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2002, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have mastitis and have never had it before. I am unable to get an appointment with my NP and have to go to the walk in clinic this evening.

What do I need to know in terms of medication and treatment. I will be dealing with a doctor that I have never seen before, and may or may not be efb friendly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2002, 03:49 PM

So sorry you've got it - what a pain!

I had it twice with ds2. By the time I made it to the appointment it was past the point where I felt comfortable with natural remedies, so I went straight for the antibiotics. I had a red rash, fever, and fainting. It was pretty exciting - not in a fun way though.

I wouldn't worry so much about this practitioner's view of EBF, as you said, you haven't seen them before and may not see them again. You are there for help with a specific problem - an infection - not for their opinion on EBF.

I hope it goes well and that you feel better soon.

Best of Luck!!
Old 08-20-2002, 04:39 PM

When I had mastitis I was told to shower with hot water and massage the lump. If you don't have a good bra right now, get one. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:08 PM

I've had mastitis a couple of times and cleared it up quickly using echinacea infusion and lots of rest. I got the info from Susun Weed's book Wise Woman's herbal for the childbearing year. I also just found pretty much the same information here: http://www.susunweed.com/Weed_letter_Mar-02.htm then search for the word mastitis. It's near the bottom of the page.

Dana

edited to fix typos
Old 08-20-2002, 06:20 PM

I had a raging case this last winter. It came on so suddenly! I had such severe pain that I was in tears. I had a big, red, hard lump on the underside of my breast & I was racked with chills (sign of high fever). I came to these boards & did a search. I read everything I could find here. I hot packed, used the shower massage, let the baby nurse & even got a raw cabbage leaf to put in my bra. It got worse. I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I was getting scared. I could barely take care of my kids.

The lump & redness was spreading. I once again hot packed the area (as hot as I could stand). Then I tried expressing milk from these ducts. I was absolutely stunned at what came out. It was gray & the consistency of snot. Not what you want to see coming out of your breast. But I realized I needed to keep going! I will not lie. It hurt to do it. Within 15-20 minutes I could tell my fever was coming down & the achiness was subsiding.

This all happened in a time span of about 4 hours.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:34 AM

By the time I post this, you will already have been to the dr. Hope you'll be feeling better soon. Mastitis sucks! I had it once really bad when my first baby was just a few months and it was awful-fever, very painful, the whole bit. My dr. put me on antibiotics because of the extent, but also suggested what everyone else has said-hot shower, massage, keep nursing. The keep nursing part was hard (not that I had any intention of doing otherwise) because it was so painful, but it really, really worked.
Since then, I have recognized the telltale signs twice before it got bad and was able to "flush it out" so to speak by drinking LOTS of water and nursing as much as my child will let me put him or her to the breast. They probably wondered why mommy was trying to force-feed the breast milk, but didn't question it!
Anyway, I just wanted to say I feel your pain and I hope you will not be feeling it much longer!
Jennifer
Old 08-21-2002, 10:48 AM

I hope you're feeling better by now. I've had full blown mastitis only once or twice. Other times, I've felt it starting and managed to stop it in its tracks before it got too bad ( by drinking lots of fluids and nursing a lot on the affected side.) The best thing to do is take your baby to bed with you and nurse on the affected side as often as possible. Warm washcloths help as does massaging the infected spot. You can take Tylenol for fever and pain. Get well soon!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I did end up with a perscription for antibiotics.

I have been hot packing and massaging, and nursing, and hot packing, and massaging... It is working some. I will keep at it.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me with this! I really appreciate it!

Christina
Old 08-21-2002, 11:58 AM

Oh christina! I hope you feel better soon! I had mastitis when Dd was about 3 weeks old and it was just awful. (((christina)))
put your feet up and make sure that baby nurses a lot on that side to help the infection out (so said my midwife anyway!)....you want I should fetch you a cup of tea and your jammies?

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yes please tabbie cat! I am off to get my jammies right now!
Old 08-21-2002, 07:45 PM

OK! One cup of nice Herbal tea comming up......I have homegrown organic lemon balm, catnip, or mint, and an assortment of store bought.....I will just bring the hot water and you can choose
Feeling a bit better?

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

User Tag List