Plugged Tear Duct - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-21-2002, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little one is almost a year old and facing the dreaded diagnosis for her plugged tear duct (oozy green/yellow discharge and crusty stuff in the corner of her eye for most of her life).
It's not uncommon in babies but usually goes away within a few months as my sons did.
As they hit their one year b-day and it hasn't gotten any better the drs usually recommend surgery to clear it up (involves a probe inserted to clear out the duct) I'm told it's usually successful but I don't want such an invasive thing done if I can help it.
I haven't heard of any other alternatives in the natural health and baby books I've read which are numerous.
I can always wait it out a little longer but it is really a nusance and often makes the area under her eye chapped and dry from all the moisture and people always think she's sick.
Any ideas or successes out there!?
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#2 of 4 Old 08-22-2002, 12:55 AM

I understand since Jared had the same thing for that long. People either asked if he was sick or had a cold in his eye or if he was crying. We just kept gently rubbing near the tear duct to open it up. Once in a while, when it got real bad, we would put a warm tea bag of eyebright on his eye to clear up the infection. Of course this was done when he was asleep.

Warm vibes to your little one!
#3 of 4 Old 08-22-2002, 09:02 AM

Hi Ann
My son also had a plugged tear duct when he was a little guy. My dh and I tried the gentle rubbing for a couple of months and it never cleared up the duct so we went for the probe recommended by our doctor. I wasn't too thrilled with that either, but I wanted to let you know that the procedure for my son was literally done in less than a minute, no lie, and he was fine afterwards.
Now on the other hand, my niece had a plugged duct as well and my sis just kept rubbing it and it eventually did clear up as my niece grew.
Either way, I couldn't believe how many people made commentary about my son's eye before we had the duct cleared.
#4 of 4 Old 08-22-2002, 02:44 PM

Hi! my son too had a plugged tear duct. I used hot water & soaked a washcloth, wring & place over the eye up to several times a day.
Or brew some tea in hot water remove bags, let cool & place over closed eyes. Tea is a wonderful astringent & you can feel the results as you rest under the damp tea bags! Try it on yourself! Herb teas too! It's great! You can alternate warm cloth-wet, warm tea bags.
We did this treatment when he was young & it worked itself open in it's own time. I think just the wet rags & heat may have been enough to get the circulation going in the area & work it open. I didn't want to have any invasive procedures either so we put quite a bit of effort into this! I hope it clears soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page