Chiro or orthopedist...help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Besides pain in the pelvic area, lower back, leg and shoulder, also I have a lot of symptoms that would indicate a neurologic disorder (weakness in both legs, some fleeting moments of anesthesia, etc.).

I saw a chiropractor and he confirmed 3 or 4 areas of spinal (1 particularly bad) and cervical problems, and he wants me to get x-rays and go back next week.

1) I discovered that I'm not particularly confortable with all these manouevers.

2) Chiros are "illegal" (but tolerated) in France and not covered by social security and he's rather expensive.

3) If I have a nerve problem wouldn't it be better to see an orthopedist?

4) Even if I had a herniated disk, wouldn't it be better to see an orthopedist?

5) Isn't it dangerous to do adjustments when you have a cervical problem?

What do you all think? I went ahead and made the appointment with an orthopedist who works at a hospital that's specialized in spine health.
#2 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 10:52 AM

Ellie,
Molly sees an orthopedist for all her bone "problems" including lower back. However when her cervical spine became involved and she experienced leg and foot numbness she was referred to a neurologist.
I would not be comfortable with chiro adjustments when the cervical spine is involved either.

peggy
#3 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

Oh thanks Peggy!

You see how long it's taken me to get it narrowed down to this? When will I feel better is the next question!
#4 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 11:44 AM

It is interesting that just next door to you here in Switzerland chiropractors are completely covered by basic insurance!!!
#5 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 12:11 PM

Ellie, I'm just trying to understand a little more (I was a chiropractic assistant for 5 years)--can you describe what type of adjustments he gave you? There are many different types of chiropractic techniques, maybe a gentler approach is what you need. These are called non-force techniques. And do you have the diagnoses for each region? Lumbar radiculitis, that sort of thing? If I knew what your diagnosis was specifically I can give you feedback from my experience. I worked with one of the top progressive chiropractors in NYC-he also happens to be a neurologist (MD.) I'd be happy to contact him and see what he has to say.
#6 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

Hi Lee - Thanks. I don't have a specific diagnosis yet; he wanted to see the x-rays for that. The main problem he found was on the spine just below center. He said there was also a problem a little higher up and also the neck (but I believe that is related to overuse and not particularly with the problem I'm experiencing now).

I'll PM you more details if you you think he could go on just the symptoms.
#7 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 12:33 PM

Of course-just pass on the info after your x-rays and I'll contact him. The thing that concerns me here is your mentioning chiropractic is illegal there--although I think chiropractic is wonderful, there *are* bad chiropractors & I would hate to think, with the lack of proper regulation, there might be more of a chance of encountering a bad one. It may be the best move to see an orthopedist in your situation. Hope you're not in too much pain .
#8 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 03:37 PM

I have problems with some chiropractors too, the one I have been going to for years is great. But he isn't the normal, Applied Kanesiolggist (sp?) and he would be great for all of that... But my gut says if you arn't comfortable with it DON'T DO IT! Maybe get an diagnosis and then search the internet and find out more about it? That is what I tend to do, then look for treatments. GL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page