what's going on? any ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2002, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd (almost 15 mos.), had a fever (spiking fairly high occasionally) for 2 days, Thurs. & Fri. I took her to the dr. late fri. aft. since i didn't want things to get worse over the weekend when no ones available except the e.r. she checked her ears (after a huge screaming/thrashing fit and finally holding dd down - gently as possible) and said they seemed ok. she thought it was just some virus passing through (my initial thought too) and suggested homeo. chamomilla for the fever. yesterday (Sat.), dd seems fine, no fever, and full of energy. so we have a pretty normal day and go to the park in the late afternoon. come evening before bed, she has a series of "owies" that are so unfortunately common with a toddler - self head bonk w/a toy, pinched fingers in a drawer, trip into the side of a table (with resulting cut lip ), and running into an exterior corner of a wall...(sigh.....) all of this within an hour or so before sleep (and she did not want to go to bed!)... so as we're nursing, she starts screaming. i'm assuming it's because she's seriously sleep-fighting. we go back to nursing and she periodically half wakes and starts screaming. this goes on all night. at first it was irritating (since i thought she was just resisting sleep - and i needed to get some sleep!), then i started wondering what's really wrong? is she in pain? bad dreams? she's still asleep as i write, so don't know what she'll be like when she really wakes up. but every time she half-woke to nurse there was screaming... any thoughts or ideas? sorry this was so long!!!

ps. just wanted to add, that i have wondered if it could be the early start of 2 yr. molars.. dd has all of her teeth, has always been early in teething and drooly the past couple of days....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2002, 03:31 PM

She's probably just teething. Does she still have a fever? How high was the fever? If she still has a high fever there is the possibility of encephalitis (inflamation of the brain). Mental confusion, headache, high pitched screaming, and clumsiness are all symptoms of encephalitis. Encephalitis is associated with some viruses and is often caused by vaccines.

I wouldn't worry if the fever had passed when she was having her accidents and screaming, probably just normal toddler stuff. But if she had a fever at the time, and especially if she was recently vaccinated, I would do some research about encephalitis and vaccine reactions just to set your mind at ease. A little knowlege goes a long way to calming worries. I was freaked out the other day because I thought my son might have West Nile virus becouse of his mosquito bites and fever, but a little research eased my fears.

Hope your little one feels better soon!
Old 08-26-2002, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks!!! she seemed fine yest. & today....just one of those things i guess....

User Tag List