Can I avoid a post partum D&C? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2004, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After I had my dd two years ago, I was still bleeding at 7 weeks PP and my midwife could tell that my uterus was larger than it should've been at that point. They did an ultrasound and found a fibrous blood clot that measured 1x2x3cm. After a round of methergine (drug to make the uterus contract) it was still there. The midwife wanted to schedule a D&C, but being petrified of that, I asked if we could try the methergine once more. She agreed and gave me a stronger dosage. Within a few days I passed the clot...definitely fibrous! It was like a piece of an organ or something. Very firm and gross. After that was expelled, the bleeding stopped. Great!

Here's the issue... Now, exactly 2 years later, I'm almost 7 weeks PP with my ds. Yup...still having PP bleeding. We moved since I had my dd, so I'm with an OB instead of the midwife from last time. I asked at 6 weeks when he'd be concerned that I was still bleeding. He asked how much I'm bleeding and I told him it was still bright red bleeding, like a light period. I told him what happened last time. He gave me a prescription for methergine. I just finished taking it, but am still bleeding. He told me to call him if after taking the meds I was still bleeding and we'd talk about a D&C. Well, I'm still bleeding the same amount.

I'm petrified of a D&C. I really don't want to be put all the way under with anesthesia, but I really don't want to be awake for it either. Is there some way that someone knows of to get the bleeding to stop so I don't have to have a D&C?

Help!

ETA: These were both C-section deliveries, if that makes a difference at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBeary77
Is your placenta being completely expelled/removed?
Yes. Right after my surgery I was bleeding quite a bit. The doctor knew that I had problems with that after my previous c/s, so he made sure to check and get all of the placenta out. So, I know it's not that. Other ideas?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBeary77
Ok, so this would be a hemorrhage, then, right? Is that what the doc's & mws have called it?
I haven't heard them use that term for me. ??? The first time the midwife just said it was a fibrous blood clot that was in my uterus (saw it via ultrasound), keeping mu uterus open and bleeding. Once it was expelled with the second dose of methergine, the bleeding stopped around 9 weeks post-partum.

This time, I'm at 7 weeks post-partum and still bleeding. I haven't had an ultrasound to see if it's another blood clot. I don't know if the doctor is even going to do one, or if he's just going to want to go straight to the D&C. I'm going to call him tomorrow and let him know that the PP bleeding still hasn't stopped, even after taking methergine for a week.

I know PP bleeding doesn't always stop at 6 weeks for everyone, but shouldn't it at least not be bright red anymore?

User Tag List