Surgery or radioactive iodine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-27-2002, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here had or considered radioactive iodine therapy for hyperthyroidism? I have been taking PTU (antithyroid medication) for about 18 months, which has been keeping my thyroid hormone levels (more or less) normal. But the problem is that I have nodules and they are getting larger. So my endocrinologist is saying that the PTU isn't a permanent solution, and that I should consider having the radioactive iodine therapy soon. Another option is surgery, although the doc recommends the radioactive iodine.

I've been reading up on radioactive iodine, and frankly, it scares me. I have a friend who is a radiologist who thinks doctors are "rad happy" and that radioactive medicine should be a last resort and not recommended so casually. But the surgery is a pretty big deal and not without serious risks. It would mean a lot of pain and a long recuperation, not to mention the expense.

With radioactive iodine, I would have to wean my two year old son, and I would have to wait at least 6-12 months after the treatment before attempting to conceive. Is radioactive iodine really 100% safe like the docs say? Where can I go to learn more? I am really confused on how to proceed. My next appointment is October 22nd and I'd like to have my facts straight by then.
#2 of 2 Old 08-27-2002, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is an article from Dr. Mercola's website that may help you. http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/15/radioactive_iodine.
Radioactive Iodine for Thyroid Cancer May Increase Risk of Breast Cancer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page