supplements for 4 yo dd with very limited diet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-28-2002, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm beginning to be concerned about my 4 year old dd. She hasn't liked MOST vegetables since she was 18 months, but I would get creative and make nutritious pumkin breads or zuchinni breads, pumkin butter etc. She would pick the SMALLEST pieces of veggies from a dish and put them aside. BUT, now she won't even eat those breads, and is even getting picky with her fruits. She'll take like one bite of one of the fruits offered at a meal. She skips ALL veggies, and will only eat breads (whole grain of course), peanut butter (un-hydrogynated), and dairy. Oh yeah, and juices. Basically, we offer a meal with lots to choose from and I give her a little of everything on her plate, more of what she likes and less of what she doesn't like. After eating her sandwich, for example, she'll request more sandwich or more milk, without even touching the other stuff on her plate. I don't want her do OD on breads and have nothing else, because that's what she wants to do. What we've been doing is telling her that she needs to try the other items on her plate, and then if she's still hungry, she can have more milk, or another sandwich, etc. But she refuses to try anything she doesn't "think" she wants, she stops eating and drinks water. During the day if she's hungry between meals I always offer fruit and veggies and water, but she'll pass. She has never been much of an eater, so she never really eats much anyway.
So....................my question is, should I be giving her supplements? She is VERY healthy, in that she is only sick 1-2 times a year, fights infections quickly, has never been on ANY prescription drug, etc.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
#2 of 4 Old 08-28-2002, 09:16 PM

OK. I'll give this a shot. I see a few things to me that send up red flags. Your dd drinks lots of diary and eats lots of wheat. People will crave what they are allergic to. First thing I would do is pull ALL diary from her diet. And then all wheat products. It takes about 2 weeks for diary caesin to leave the body and several months for wheat. It is hard. Extremely. www.gfcfdiet.com can offer suggestions. Then slowly add these foods back to her diet. See what she may react too. Once children are pulled from these foods, they will usually eat more variety.

some very good vitamins can be found at www.kirkmanlabs.com

Don't let the name alarm you. Super Nu Thera is designed for children on the Autism Spectrum but I give my NT children it also.

email me if you would like additional information.
#3 of 4 Old 08-29-2002, 12:53 AM

This company has just come out with a "greens" drink for kids. It contains 25 organic fruits and veggies so i think it is a good back up for kids that don't get enough of them.Their website is www.greenspluscanada.com and they also have a phone number...(416)977-8765
#4 of 4 Old 08-30-2002, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

I checked out the info about the gfcf diet, and I don't think it applies. My dd is very outgoing, energetic, very social and doesn't have any symptoms of allergy, never has. Today she did eat a banana and some tuna! Some of this may be normal childhood pickiness, but it is just difficult to watch. I know I NEVER touched a veggie when I was little, and my dh to this day has to force down a fruit now and then! I may continue looking for some sort of supplement, such as the "greens" drink. Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page