help! congested 1y.o. hasn't slept in 5 days - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-29-2002, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby boy started daycare about 6 weeks ago and of course it has been non-stop sniffles ever since. I was expecting that and I love the school (it's a reggio emilio method school that goes to 5th grade).

But this last cold is a doozey. He will fall asleep breathing thru his mouth but the moment he is really asleep he will close his mouth and try to breathe thru his nose, which is completely clogged. So a few moments later he will startle himself awake and cry for a moment, then fall back asleep, repeating the cycle. So every minute or so we all wake up. In general he sleeps with us about 1/2 the time, his crib the other 1/2. I've tried both places but neither is significantly better. He doesn't want comforting, he wants to sleep (me too!). Last night was the 5th night of this. I have a full time job so I don't get to nap and I am really starting to loose it. He's had colds before with a stuffy nose and it was never this pattern of breathing/waking. He is happy in the day time, just has a runny nose. Night time is a nightmare, however.

I'm using a vaporizer with tea tree oil, and a natural camphor/menthol salve on his chest. We're doing his bath at night to loosen the mucous in his nose and using that yucky suction bulb to get as much as possible out before bed.

Are there any other natural decongestants? I even took him to the doctor to make sure it wasn't a cold turned into an infection. She said I was doing everything right and to come back if it hadn't cleared up in another week or if the mucous looked like puss. I'm glad that I have a doc who's very 'let nature take it's course' instead of always throwing antibiotics at me, but I must admit I wish there was something more I could do. Any suggestions?
#2 of 4 Old 08-29-2002, 07:30 PM

Saline Solution
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup boiled or distilled water
Dissolve salts in water.

Fill bulb aspirator with solution. Insert tip of aspirator into nostril, fill sinus cavity with solution. (Any excess will go out other nostril or down the back of throat.) Suck out mucous. Repeat with other nostril.

This solution hydrates and soothes. It also temporarily shrinks the nasal membranes as well as clears out the guck. Do it before bed and you'll likely get at least a couple of hours rest.

Good luck
#3 of 4 Old 08-29-2002, 07:41 PM

Hold him on your lap and put your head over a pot of hot water with some eucalyptus oil dropped in it and put a towel over your heads,My herbalist said this is a huge help for kids.
#4 of 4 Old 08-30-2002, 03:11 AM

Breast milk! This saved us when ds had a cold and was (not) sleeping just like you described. I would pump some breastmilk, squirt it up his nose with the dropper, wait a few seconds (longer the better), then suction out with the bulb. Ds hated this and would scream like a banshee, but it always cleared him up just great. Before I discovered this, in a moment of desperation, I tried a regular over the counter decongestant. Not only did it make him hyper, but it didn't work as well as the breast milk.

I have heard the saline solution works well too. I also sat with him in the steamy bathroom with the hot shower running, and put pillows underneath our mattress to prop him up a bit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page