Nothing to eat for five days, when should I consider going to the hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the worst flu ever, where I cannot eat without severe abdominal cramping, vomiting, diarrehea. I have not eaten in five days (and lost 10 lbs sadly) because everytime I do, I throw up or it hurts too bad.

I am nursing a toddler, I want to make milk for him so I drink water and Gatorade when I'm able. But that comes up or out, too.

Would an IV help? I feel like the hospital will just roll their eyes at me and tell me to eat but it is a nightmare physically everytime I eat.

Thanks.
#2 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 04:15 PM

Yes Go! You need the help. also I found that the pedialyte popsicles REALLY helped.
#3 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd call your family doc (if you have one) and see if they can squeeze you in, it's much cheaper. They can give you anti nausea suppositories. Then you do liquids only for a day or so, then the BRAT diet.

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 06:25 PM

(((purplebasil)))

I'm so sorry you are going through this! Do you still have milk? Is your toddler nursing regularly? If yes, then my advice to you would be to trust your body. Try herbal tea w/ginger...if you could get some mineral water, apple juice and fresh ginger and either blend or juice the apple juice and ginger together then add the mineral water that is very helpful for nausea. Try sipping all day long on teas, ginger ale, water and juices...take a bath and get out in the fresh air a bit.

I hope you get better really soon...actually I hope you are already better (on your own without the hospital)!

dust.gif
#5 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 06:42 PM

my god! Go to the hospital NOW. You will need a hydrating IV for sure. And you will totally enjoy it! Also, they can give you something to stop the throwing up. I cannot imagine not eating for 5 days and nursing my son! I cannot go 2 hours with out a small snack or a drink!!! GO GO GO GO !!
#6 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 07:22 PM

i agree with vegiemom...if you cant keep liquids down...get that iv!!

dust.gif
#7 of 7 Old 12-15-2004, 08:49 PM

I am an ER nurse, and i most certainly would *not* roll my eyes at you.

I am sure that you look as bad as you feel (clinically speaking of course, not cosmetically!). You need to be "tanked up" so to speak.

You might have something wrong outside of the flu, which usually doesn't last much longer than say, 24-72 hours.

Get dressed and go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page