How do you protect your child's genetic identity? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 12-21-2004, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A continuation of ideas brought up in this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=228421

So, I know there are some people here who have thought through this more than I have, so I'd love some information.

I know some people don't get SSN (social security numbers) for their children, even though they forgo the income tax deduction each year.
I know there are some that don't get birth certificates to avoid their child being in the paperwork system.

However, I hadn't considered the effect of genetic information being stored from blood samples. In the linked thread, Healthy Skeptic has said that she doesn't want her child's blood stored after the newborn screen.

I'm curious how one would go about protecting the genetic integrity. Do you swear off all blood testing? What types would be acceptible? When do you break down in an emergency situation. Could you give false information?
Have I even understood the issue correctly, that it's avoiding a (potential) genetic database entry?
Anyone?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-21-2004, 05:30 PM

I guess I haven't really thought about it tremendously & FTR my kids do have both birth certs & SS #s. IMO though, my child's immediate health & safety are of greater importance than the theoretical risk of being entered into some "genetic database." So I have & would still get newborn screenings & other diagnostic labwork.
#3 of 4 Old 12-22-2004, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Am I the only one NOT overly concerned about "lack of privacy."? There is simply so much information out there that nobody's really going to look at all of it.

I honestly don't see how my life, or my children's lives, would be negatively affected by being included in a giant registry of genetic information. All my kids have SSN and birth certificates, I check in with the WIC office every 6m, DSS gets copies of my financial information annually (for Medicaid), the DMV keeps tabs on my driving record, etc.

If somebody really wanted to, they could monitor my online shopping habits and discover what size I wear in shoes, clothes, bras, etc. Heck, a review of my posts on message boards would probably reveal the same information!!

Am I worried? Nope.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults

#4 of 4 Old 12-22-2004, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

I have to say that I agree with you, but as I think more about it, I see the other side. That I am making decisions for them (my right as a parent) but with perhaps far reaching effects. Just as circumsision is the choice of an adult, maybe having blood on file is the same, because it cannot be undone.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page