what happens if I don't treat the pink eye? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-23-2004, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My relationship with my 4 year old has turned hellish over the administration of eye drops for pink eye. Both eyes. Its awful. What would happen if I just dropped it and stopped treating it? Could the infection damage his eyes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-23-2004, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds (5) also has it, and has gotten hysterical when I tried to give him the drops. He's also sick with a double ear infection and a very bad cough, and he's getting amoxicillin because this has become protracted and nothing else is helping. So I decided not to push the drops and see what happened. It is now clearing up on its own. Today I didn't see any evidence of it in his eyes. How bad is your son's pink eye? My ds' was fairly mild, so I wasn't overly worried about delaying the drops and seeing what happened. Now I don't know if the amoxicillin is treating it anyway (he'll take that without a problem).

Could you call your ped and explain the problem, and find out if you are doing anything harmful by not giving the drops? If it just takes longer to clear up and wouldn't cause lasting damage, I'd let it go. I know from reading your posts that you are an incredibly respectful mama, and that you would be honoring his distress rather than "giving in." If, however, this could affect his eyesight in the long run I'm afraid there is no choice but to make him take the drops (easier said than done!) I suspect, however, that it's more of an annoyance illness than anything else.

Hope you can resolve this for your little guy's sake, not to mention yours!
#3 of 3 Old 12-24-2004, 12:24 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Have him close his eyes, lying down. Put a drop in the inner corner of his eyelid (toward his nose.) Then have him open his eyes--the drop will go in.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page