ear infection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-30-2004, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd2 has had a ear infection last wk and is/was on med for it. Today is the last day of meds. I was wondering if maybe I should just put a few drops of breastmilk to just make sure it is really gone. I heard that bm was good for ear infection.

Is it true?? What do you think???

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#2 of 11 Old 01-12-2005, 12:55 PM

I know this thread is old but just wanted to say breastmilk should be good for an ar infection, but ONLY if the ear drum is not ruptured. If it is, you don't want to put ANYTHING in there.
#3 of 11 Old 01-17-2005, 08:34 AM

..I guess the meds you were referring to were antibiotics?

If so, please check out "The Power of Probiotics" thread here in Health and Healing.

70% of the immune system is in our gastrointestinal tract and when those antibiotics go in they wipe out the good bacteria as well.

Just the fact that your daughter is getting ear infections says she could use some good probiotic yogurt (not conventional yogurt that has mostly transient bacteria).

In fact, in this day and age of antibiotic laden meats, we have an epidemic of poor intestinal health.

Good luck,

Ray
#4 of 11 Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 AM

I would like to second good papa's recommendation of probiotics for the little guy... my son's recurrent ear infections started the whole family on them, and it was honestly the best thing for ALL of us.

Besides, with my son in dc, it has practically made us immune to that nasty stomach flu that is sure to go around at least once a year.

Next time, you may want to forgo the antibiotics or at least delay for a couple of days and try other methods for healing. I use olive oil + garlic or wally's ear oil (there are several versions of ear oil available at most health food stores). What you would be looking for is olive oil + an antibacterial oil (like tea tree) or garlic. It does wonders for providing pain relief (pushes back on the ear). If they can sleep they can heal

But as maggiesmom pointed out, never put anything in the ear if their is a rupture.

Healing vibes your way.
#5 of 11 Old 01-17-2005, 09:06 AM

I said little guy... meant your dd
#6 of 11 Old 01-17-2005, 12:45 PM

Funny I would come across this thread while looking at the bottle of Wally's Ear Oil I have! Good stuff. It has Almond Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Eucalyptus, Garlic, Mullein, and Echinacea Root in it. My mom picked it up at a health store about a week and a half ago for ds when he had an ear infection. It was pretty bad too, but after three days of drops he was totally fine. I don't see why you couldn't use it now. There's a website listed on the bottle www.wallysnatural.com I am sure that you could use anything with the same stuff in it too though. I know you can also use warm olive oil with mullein or garlic oil in it too. I am too lazy to do that when I could just open up a bottle though! That's terrible isn't it? It is easier to have something on hand already then to have to make it up when you have a kid who needs lots of mama time.

Good luck!

tayndrewsmama
#7 of 11 Old 01-17-2005, 08:14 PM

tayndrewsmama - I'm too lazy also! Besides... never have any spare ear droppers lying around.

I do love wally's ear oil... mainly because my son smells all aromatic rather than like a plate of spaghetti when using it :LOL
#8 of 11 Old 01-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Well, I guess we are resurrecting this thread!

My DD, 6 mo. was diagnosed last week with an infection in one ear and fluid in the other. I refused treatment, but obviously am going back to have them checked--appt is at the 2 wk mark. In the meantime I have been using breastmilk to treat both ears. I am pretty certain (my the smell) that we have cleared up the infection side, but then the other side got a bit smelly, so I am still treating. Part of me is pride-ful, i think and I just want to show that doc that there IS NO NEED for those anitbiotics, since he declared "breastmilk will not help an ear infection!" and I know different, having already gotten 2 boys through this stage with NO DRUGS whatsoever. In any case, DD is the first in our family to have an infection so young. She is on no solids whatsoever, but I was thinking to give her probiotics. How would I do that? Suggestions, pls.
#2 This morning, she had crust in her fluid filled ear from drainage. IS this good or bad? And how do I know if the ear drum is ruptured? Is it OK to keep doing the bm drops?

She has had no fever and she slept great last night, so I am not too worried, but always a little. TIA

other suggestions welcome
#9 of 11 Old 01-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother4good
She is on no solids whatsoever, but I was thinking to give her probiotics. How would I do that? Suggestions, pls.
#2 This morning, she had crust in her fluid filled ear from drainage. IS this good or bad? And how do I know if the ear drum is ruptured? Is it OK to keep doing the bm drops?
As for the probiotics, I used to just express some milk and mix in the powdered probitotics and then give it to the kids with a dropper. Be patient though, if she's not normally taking anything other than BM, she might not be too fond of the dropper thing.

As for the crust and fluid, I really don't know. Drew had an ear infection recently and everyone kept asking me if it was draining yet. It never did and he is fine now. I also remember when my niece always had her eardrum rupture, it was draining blood and she was SCREAMING bloody murder when it happened to. Sorry I can't help much with that part.

Good luck!

tayndrewsmama
#10 of 11 Old 01-23-2005, 10:36 AM

..he got his probiotics from me while he was nursing.

I just moistened my finger and put a little powder on. I worked my finger gently between his mouth and my wife's breast--- he didn't even notice.

Not alot of powder, just a little-- but many times.

Ray
#11 of 11 Old 01-23-2005, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I was surprise to see this on the first page.

Thanks for all the advice. She is now better. I can't give her yogurt because she is allergic to dairy. I do take probiotics on a regular basic and dd1 too.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page