Info on IBS and what other suffers have done - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-07-2002, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all.

My mom has IBS and is pretty frustrated at the lack of helpful information she has received/found.

Can anyone who has this condition perhaps give lists or links to food that is ok to eat? My mom is pretty vegetarian now and has cut out a lot of her dairy, perhaps all? She drinks soy milk. Perhaps a switch to Almond or Rice could help?

Anyway any and all info regarding foods and natural meds would be helpful. I think she might come here to register. Thanks again ladies and gents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 09-08-2002, 06:15 PM

IBS is a stress related disease. Your mother can do much to alleviate her symptoms by getting on top of her emotions and negative thinking patterns. Self calming methods such as self hypnosis,meditation and /or prayer will aid her in that.
Mint tea is an effective aid when your bowels go into spasm.

Hope these suggestions help. You may also want to check out: http://www.stressdoctor.com/whatis.htm
#3 of 14 Old 09-09-2002, 02:26 PM

I was diagnosed with IBS 6 years ago. It is a stress related problem, but it is also made worse by food sensitivities. I would try to find a environmental physician who uses the elisa/act test to detect hidden food allergies.

There are two things that work very well for the spasms. Enteric coated peppermint oil capsules dissolve in the intestine and anesthetise the pain. Skullcap herb is an antispasmodic and has helped me tremendously because not only does it relieve the spasms, but it has a calming and tonifying effect on the nervous system as a whole, so it helps with the stress that causes the attacks in the first place.

I hope your mother finds what works for her.
#4 of 14 Old 09-09-2002, 02:31 PM

I had it ten years ago, and eliminated it through a yeast-free diet and stress reduction. The book "The Yeast Connection" is very helpful.
#5 of 14 Old 09-09-2002, 02:43 PM

I have been diagnoses with IBS since childhood. It has only been 5 years since I found a doctor that helped me. He told me to stop eating and drinking all dairy and read the lables of foods. This was a total lifestyle change for me. I love ice cream and cheese. He told me to go off processed sugar (again read lables) and bleached flour. I was to drink only water (no caffiene or sugar drinks). I was to go off chocolate (I put my foot down on that). I was to eat less red meat.

Anyway, I began to drink soy or rice milk (had to get used to the taste), I ate more vegatables. I changed to natural non processed sugar. I ate less meat. I began to eat whole grain breads (when I ate bread at all). I ordered sandwitches without cheese when I just had to have fast food. I stopped ordering french fries. I cut out pizza, ice cream, sodas, and fried food.

My doctor suggested that I take digestive enzymes to help digest my foods and ginger to calm my cramping.

My symptoms did deminish and I lost 50 pounds. I gained energy and felt better.

That was 5 years ago and I have become more lax on my diet again. I'm not as lazy as I was before though. I have started having symptoms again because I reintroduced milk products into my diet. It is time to stop those again.

Again, getting well from IBS is a lifestyle change. My doctor told me I had to get rid of my stressers. I told him my streesers were my job and my husband (at the time). I did eventually get rid of all my stressers. He was right

Good luck to your mother.

Karen
#6 of 14 Old 09-12-2002, 10:43 AM

Sorry to say, but the stress-induced is total BS. Stress might make it worse, but it's not the cause. I have BAD reactions when I splurge on even a single bagel.

Try the Paleolithic Diet and the Specific Carobohydrate diet. No processed food, no wheat of any kind, no dairy. There are many entries on the web.
#7 of 14 Old 09-12-2002, 08:06 PM

That may be true for you, jquilter, but not for me. I have not suffered from IBS since I have concrete methods to deal with stress in many of it's forms. That said, moderating your diet while you are suffering from it, is only prudent management of symptoms.
#8 of 14 Old 09-13-2002, 04:19 AM

I've had IBS my entire life. I know for everyone it can be different. Food, stress almost anything can trigger IBS. For me there is a long list of foods I try to avoid. I find it can be triggered by hormonal changes especially. I always get attacks about one week before my period, so I try to be very careful of any dietary stufff around then. Yeast is a big trigger food(esp. bagels) caffeine, milk , raw vegis, beans, soy, fried foods, any thing acidic- there are alot of foods that can be a problem. I can say that for me stress, in the past was a big factor, however after I turned 35 I noticed food was the major problem. I found that when I started to keep a food diary I could pinpoint foods and timing info. Patterns emerged and it was easier to anticipate when I might get ill. I am so sorry your mom has this or anybody else for that matter! It is a life altering illness for many and its often hard to manage and difficult for people to understand. I hope your mom can feel healthy soon. Let us know how it works out for her.
#9 of 14 Old 09-13-2002, 01:07 PM

Well, I was sorting through my junk today, and found a flyer I picked up in health food store.
Lo and behold there was a whole section on IBS and natural ways to mediate this illness. I have
outlined their take on it in my own way.

Food Allergies.
Common ones: wheat, eggs and dairy. Celiac disease most severe form
Can cause leaky gut, and hence and overgrowth like candida albicans. Can also cause bacteria, and
undigested food to cause inflammation and a autoimmune response. Heliobacter pylori is a cause
of stomach ulcers.

Relief.
Peppermint in tea or in oil form is used to reduce cramping, relieve gas and increase
bile.

Nutrients.
Nutrient deficiences are commonplace among those with g.i. disorders.
Recommendations are to supplement with a multivitamin with minerals,
and antioxidant (mixed Vit E) and extra zinc. Iron defieciency anemia is often
present in those with bowel disorders. Get a blood test to determine iron status.
Damage to surface cells of the digestive tract can impair B12 absorption, injections
may be required to ensure good levels.

Priobiotics.
Poor nutrional decisions and excessive antibiotic use can have weakened the body's
ability to attact and destroy disease causing bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
Taking lactobacillus acidophilus can increase levels of gamma intereron. This may also
aid in reducing the inflammatory response in the digestive tract. Adding lactobacillus
bulgaricus will increase levels of IgE, a immune protein that destroys parasites.

Immune system regulation.
Omega 3 essential fatty acids reduce inflammation. Plant sterols and sterolins are
also effective at lowering inflammatory factors (International Journal of Immunopharmacology)

10 Tips:

Stop heartburn -stop drinking, smoking, do not drink beverages with your meal, chew your food
thorougly, raise the head of your bed a few inches, lose weight.

Aid digestion - take digestive plant enzymes with every meal. You may not have enough stomach
acid to break down food properly, so hydrochloric acid supplements with meals may help. Don't
dilute the acids present by drinking liquid during your meal.

Reduce Stress - Do whatever it takes. Meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, walking.

No NSAIDS! - Do not use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. They increase your risk of upper
g.i. ulcers, bleeding, and digestive trouble. "Nature's Pain Killers" by W. Cabot MD and Carl Germano RD,
(Kensington Books 1999) recommend willow bark, boswellia, turmeric, pycnogenol as safe alternatives.

Diet tips - Eat 7-10 half cup servings of fruit and vegetables daily. Add a cup of acidophilus
rich yoghurt daily unless you are lactose intolerant. Stop all dairy for 6 weeks and see if your
stomach distress is relieved. Do not eat white pasta,rice, sugar or flour.

Eat small meals as large ones are difficult to digest. Remember to chew well, digestion starts in the mouth.

No artificial sweeteners - Look for and use stevia (a herb) instead. Sorbitol and other
sweeteners can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea. White sugar has been found to reduce
immune response in fighting bacteria, viruses, parasites and cancer. As little as one teaspoon
can impair the cells responsible for fighting disease for up to 6 hours.

Add Fiber. Consider adding ground flax seeds, psyllium, guar gum or pectin to your daily regime.
Drink 6-10 glasses of purified water daily, especially after taking fibre supplements.
#10 of 14 Old 09-14-2002, 06:17 PM

sorry but, what is IBS?
#11 of 14 Old 09-14-2002, 06:45 PM

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
#12 of 14 Old 09-15-2002, 01:07 PM
PM
Banned

I don't have IBS but I do have a colon disorder and I appreciated InfoIsPower's recommendations. I am on a special diet now. It is a high protein/low carbs diet with no wheat, oats, rye or barley (so basically NOTHING! ). No dairy. No sugars (sugar, honey, maple syrups, brown rice sweetener, etc. etc.). No alcohol or coffee. For 10 days. Just lots of protein, non starchy veggies, healthy fats (avocado, flax seed oil, nuts, etc.). And lots and lots of water (2-3 quarts reverse osmosis water is best).

Sorry about all the incomplete sentences.
#13 of 14 Old 09-16-2002, 12:44 PM

Parismaman, that is the type diet I'm supposed to be on.
#14 of 14 Old 09-18-2002, 01:10 AM

so has most of my family, but great help in the fomr of ALFALFA tablets! I swear, I eat very healthy, but do include dairy and meat, etc. alfalfa has helped so much. I tell everyone I can about it!

Edie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page