Homeopathic ways to treat a sinus infection? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-06-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really struggling with a bad sinus infection that just keeps reoccuring. I finished a round of antibiotics last week and was feeling better but now it's back and worse than ever. My head is so stopped up, throat is horribly sore and my ears have so much pressure behind them and ache really bad. I really don't want to go through another round of antibiotics. A couple years ago I went through about 6 weeks of antibiotics trying to get rid of a sinus infection so you can imagine why I don't want to start that cycle all over again. My ENT said that if I start having trouble again that he would really recommend surgery to correct my deviated septum and clean out the polyps out of my sinuses. Surgery isn't something that I really don't want to go through either, but I'm getting desperate enough to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
#2 of 11 Old 01-06-2005, 09:46 PM

well-I had a series of sinus infections and the ENT gave me a nose spray to use (it wasn't natural and I can't remember the name) but it was a spray I used 2X a day and it had hardly any side effects. It wasn't like an Afrin type. He also put me on Claritan-D (a decongestant but it did help w/ the allergies)

I also recommend using a SALINE nasal spray-as often as possible to keep your sinus's from getting dry. I used "AYR". Also you can try a humidifier.

The minute I get a cold, I take a decongestant. HTH, Laura
#3 of 11 Old 01-06-2005, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much...I called my husband to get him to stop get me a saline spray. Hopefully it will help until I get to the doctor in the morning.
#4 of 11 Old 01-06-2005, 11:38 PM

I had the nasal-roto rooter surgery and I really don't think it helped that much. I was in the navy, so it was free, but imo, it still wasn't worth the pain. The only upside was it got me flushing my sinuses out daily. That helps more than any surgery or drug (and I've tried them all, lol). My old roommate swears by her neti pot . I haven't tried it specifically, but I figure flushing them out w/ dd's teapot filled w/ salt water is about the same

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#5 of 11 Old 01-07-2005, 12:03 AM

I would say that the most important thing for someone prone to sinus issues is definately irrigation. DH and I have horrible problems with this... I've found that keeping a powerful cool air ( not the old steam kinds) humidifier running 24/7 in the house in addition to using saline irrigation (Ocean brand) several times daily has proven to be a miracle worker for me. DH still has some issues due to really sensative allergys but has seen a major improvement with just these two things over any type of drugs etc.

Hope things clear up!!

* Reasoning behind the cool air humidifier is that the steam versions tend to harbor bacteria, mold and all that not-so-great stuff.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#6 of 11 Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 AM

there are some good homepathics for sinus infection. pulsatilla is one.. my son had a bad one a while ago..he even had 10 days of anti biotics that did nothing and 1 day on this and he was getting noticably better.. i know that there are others too.. go to a local health foos store and ask there, im sure they could help you find what you need.. there are also really good acupressure and acupuncture points for sinus problems. if you masage you own face using your thumbs rub along the bone at the top of your eyebrow and down from the corner of your eyes (gently massage here) and down along the cheekbone..there are a number of good points in there and i promise it will feel good.

good luck!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 11 Old 01-07-2005, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Ok cool I'll go tomorrow and see if I can get some pulsatilla. Thanks for your help mamas!
#8 of 11 Old 01-07-2005, 09:15 AM

here is advice from someone who suffered with sinus all her life. I hade 2 surgeries and countless punctures (flushing out my sinus by inserting HUGE needle into them throught my nose : ) and I was given antibiotics about 6 times a year!!! This was going on for 22 years! I end up with two bad liver infections due to overuse of antibiotics ....I won't even go in there.

I have not use any antibiotics for over 7 years now! And yes, I still get pretty bad sinus, but I would NEVEr touch any antibiotics any more.
The trick is to treat sinus BEFORE it becomes sinus! As soon as you get a cold and it's getting thicker start doing somethnig about it. After 29 years I can tell if my cold is turning into sinus or not.
I ALWAYS have homeopathic spray on hand. Any kind will do but these are my favorite one's:

BHI brand

NatraBio brand

Other than these I always have Pulsatilla, Kalium Bichromicum, Hydrastis and Hepar Sulfur at home.

Every of these remedies have different symptoms - Pulsatilla is for yellow not irritating mucus, loss of taste and smell, dry nose during the night and runny during day. Worse in hot room, better outside. The rule for pulsatilla is that you seek fresh air! You like open windows.......pulsatilla is made from wind flower.

Kalium Bichromicum is for yellow-green mucus, coming out in long strings. Better inside, worse outside. Mucus can sometimes dry out into nasty elastic plugs that leaves irritated membranes. Also for this remedy: pain at the root of your nose.

Hydrastis: similar to Kalium, but mucus is more gold-yellow color and usually does not come out throught your nose but goes into your neck/throat.

and Hepar sulfur is if you already have an sinus infection - you know - you can smell the infection, your forhead is hurting, you name it........

Hepar Sulfur is good with combination of any above that matches your symptoms.

buy 6C dilution, and take it 3-5times/day. If it is chronic sinus, that keeps coming back all the time than 30C is better (1-twice a day). It goes deeper, beyond physical body.

I also love this remedy by Heel: works GREAT!sinus drops this website offers all Heel products - it's German brand. they also sell the nose spray i mentioned above:
just scroll down from the sinus drops. It's a very good brand and i always have both at home - spray and drops.

also if you want help with picking the right remedy, try this remedy finder:

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/go.php it's great software!

Good luck!

Also I wanted to add - according to Chinese medicine, sinus infections, as well as ear infection mean there is imbalance in your kidneys! Improving your kidney function will greatly improve your sinus functioning. Read this and this to find out more.
#9 of 11 Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM

WOW! Yin Yang... What an awesome wealth of info! I will definately be keeping this for reference for DH

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#10 of 11 Old 01-08-2005, 03:11 PM

I've learned a lot from this thread!

Just wanted to add my .02 about the Neti Pot. It helps me every time.

And be wary of "Ayr" nasal spray. Unless they've changed their ingredients, it contains thimerosal (mercury) EEK!
#11 of 11 Old 01-08-2005, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of your replies! I sure have learned a lot. I went to a local Health Food store today and she did some muscle testing on me and found that I needed some marshmellow root and fenugreek. She also found that I needed some myrrh oil so she mixed that up for me. She tested my kidneys but said they seemed to be fine, but there was definitely some infection going on in my body. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will be feeling better. Oh and I'm gonna get a Neti pot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page