sty on my eye!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-09-2002, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok.....I've had this sty on my eyelid for a few months now. How do I get rid of the darned thing?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-09-2002, 06:33 PM

Do you wear makeup? I get stys occasionally and I've looked into them...turns out they are contagious so if you wear eye makeup you need to throw it out or clean it real good...I also remember reading to not touch them or they could linger...I just bear through it but the last one I had took a couple weeks to go away...I just do the hot washcloth on it thing and that usually makes it go away.
#3 of 11 Old 09-11-2002, 11:54 AM

I got this over the counter stuff called "stye eye" or something like that.
It worked pretty well.

peggy
#4 of 11 Old 09-12-2002, 04:23 PM

Styes are often a sign of Vit. A deficiency (beta carotene). You might want to supplement your diet with some vitamins.(or eat lots of carrots). You can try a hot compress to bring it to a head & drain. Do not squeeze! also recommend rasp. leaf tea to use as compress liquid. Take care!
#5 of 11 Old 09-12-2002, 07:14 PM

Oops, double post.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#6 of 11 Old 09-12-2002, 07:14 PM

I know you are going to think this sounds crazy, but it really does work.
I had a sty and my Dr. had given me an antibiotic cream to put on it. My co-worker, who is from India, told me to borrow one of her gold bracelets while I was at work. Rub the bracelet on cloth or fabric to get good friction heat and then place the warm spot of the bracelet on the sty. With in three days, my sty was gone and I didn't have to use the ookie ointment. But it needs to be gold, could be a pendant, bracelet or ring. Must be yellow gold.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#7 of 11 Old 09-12-2002, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ya'll!

First, I wear little makeup. IN fact, mostly mascara in the summer but I did wear eyeshadow everyday when I got the sty!
I need to do the hotpack thing.....I've heard that from several people. and gossamer, you are not crazy! My uncle insists that gold will take it away. But my dad did some internet researc and found that only to be a myth! But yeah, I once wished a wart away!:LOL
#8 of 11 Old 09-13-2002, 11:24 AM

The internet may say it's a myth but I still swear by it. My co-worker has said that since her classmate told her about this remedy, whenever she feels a sty coming on, she employs this method and has not had a full blown sty in over 30 years.

#9 of 11 Old 09-14-2002, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I suspect the gold method has more to do with the heat created from the friction. But, if believing it's the gold helps, then that just puts more umph into the method for the person. Mind and body are connected, even this skeptic can see that.

It's been awhile since I've had one, but I remember hot as I could stand wet washclothes working well to bring it to a head then draining away. The antibiotic cream would be a good follow up I'd think, since a stye is an infection. But, having said that I've never had a doc prescribe me one.

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 11 Old 09-16-2002, 09:39 PM

my son gets stys all the time. We have struggled with the warm washcloth thing, he hats it. My doc. told me to put a potato in the microwave and get it warm (not to hot) then wrap it up in a washcloth and hold it on the sty. The trick is to get kids to stay still for 10 min. HA HA HA HA HA! Another Doc recomended that I wash out his eyes with tear free baby shampoo. I washed my eyes before I put it in my sons eyes and made sure that it would not sting. It worked well. Thank goodness no more stuggling with a four year old to hold a hot wash cloth on his eyes for 10 minutes 4 times a day.
#11 of 11 Old 09-16-2002, 11:46 PM

my son has had cronic stys and infections for the last 4 months now.
ive had two threads about this recently and gotton some really great advice on them, here they are.

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=22470

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ighlight=styes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page