My kid and her inability to focus and her fish oil. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 04-23-2006, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is a ton of great info on col at this site: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html

Quote:
One concern about taking cod liver oil is the presence of contaminants—heavy metals (such as mercury, cadmium and lead), PCBs and so forth. Fortunately, consumers need not worry when it comes to cod liver oil. All cod liver oils in the US must be tested according to protocols of the Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC) and approved free of detectable levels of 32 contaminants before they can be imported into this country. Furthermore, mercury is water soluble. It may be present in the flesh of fish, but it is not present in the oil.
i found this interesting. for this reason i just bought the generic col, rather than the nordic naturals kind. my dd eats it right off the spoon--and it's not even flavoured!!!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 04-23-2006, 08:18 AM

ok, just how much DOES this cost? It's going to totally break me to put all 5 of us on it, right?
#33 of 42 Old 04-23-2006, 01:17 PM

I have been doing CLO for years now, and ds and dd both since they were tiny. We love it. I just don't think I'd put it in anything warm due to concerns about rancidity...anyone else?
#34 of 42 Old 04-23-2006, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started giving my older DD fish oils for eczema, and her skin cleared up about 90%. When I got lax for 2 weeks, it returned. I have since added lots of probiotics, and she's about 98% clear now. Fish oil is great stuff. For myself, I take flax oil because it's a little more environmentally friendly. Haven't found flavored flax oils yet.
#35 of 42 Old 04-24-2006, 10:22 PM

If anyone is worried about taste of CLO might want to try the cinnamon flavor of this brand
http://www.greenpasture.org/cod_liver_oil.php
It is my fav and my 16 mo dd takes it straight in an old medicine dropper and always asks for more!! I don't think it tastes fishy at all. Others though have said they hate it. I also think you get used to the taste after awhile. I've been talking it for 2 years now and can get it down no problem.
#36 of 42 Old 04-24-2006, 10:51 PM

Unfortunately with flax, the body needs to convert it to EPA/DHA, it's not the same. That is why cod liver oil is generally recommended as the best source, the fatty acids are already converted. Especially for kids as their intestines/enzymes are not working as effeciently as adults. Or if digestion is damaged in any way.
#37 of 42 Old 04-25-2006, 07:21 PM

I use the Nordic Naturals strawberry flavored ones for my boys (age 3 and 5). They both love them. They call them "ball vitamins"...DS5 was 2 when he first started taking them and "ball" was one of his first words, so they are his "ball vitamins". LOL They've also tried the lemon flavored ones (same brand) and like those as well.

I've taken the Nordic Naturals for adults. If you have a Trader Joes near you, they sell fish oil capsules for a fairly reasonable price (they are molecularly distilled, too). They even have an "odorless" version which is supposed to keep you from tasting it later (ykwim). They are $1 more per bottle, but they seem to work. Not sure if the odor removal does anything to the quality; the bottle claims that it doesn't, but who knows?
#38 of 42 Old 04-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2boys
I use the Nordic Naturals strawberry flavored ones for my boys (age 3 and 5). They both love them. They call them "ball vitamins"...DS5 was 2 when he first started taking them and "ball" was one of his first words, so they are his "ball vitamins". LOL They've also tried the lemon flavored ones (same brand) and like those as well.
We call ours 'strawberry balls'
#39 of 42 Old 04-26-2006, 03:28 PM

First off, thank you so much for posting, Elyice. I'm so excited about trying out a healthy alt for my dd's ADHD. On your OP, you said something about doing a probiotic. Which one did you use & for how long or do your dc take it simultaneously. Went to Wild Oats last night and got the Nordic Naturals (strawberry balls )(Some poster asked above what it cost. For us it was $20.) How long were your dc on the FO before you noticed a difference in focus? Did you buy the Jr or the Children's version? I bought children's, because my 3 1/2 yo ds has suspected ADHD, too, but wanted to see if okay for younger one, too.
#40 of 42 Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Edited to clarify when my kids started taking them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie anne
I bought children's, because my 3 1/2 yo ds has suspected ADHD, too, but wanted to see if okay for younger one, too.
FWIW, my chiro started suggesting the children's for our kids about as soon as they were old enough to take them (by this I mean physically old enough to eat them). I know I've been giving them to my youngest since he was at least 2.

Also, I heard a talk by Dr. Sears recently where he mentioned eating foods high in Omega 3s immediately before a talk, and how he noticed how mentally alert he was and that he gave one of his best talks ever. I had been giving my kids their "ball vitamins" at night (for no particular reason; I just did). Since then I started giving them to them in the mornings (they have morning and nighttime vitamins anyway, so I just moved the fish oil to nighttime). I figured, why waste that mental alertness on going to sleep? Thought I'd share this tip...don't know if there is any truth to it, but it can't hurt!
#41 of 42 Old 06-15-2006, 01:11 PM

fish oil after reading your post.
The problem is she hates the taste of even the strawberry nordic naturals. So it's not a positive experience we are starting our day off with trying to get them in her body. I will have to shop around for something more yummy!
#42 of 42 Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 PM

Have you thought about adding the oil to a smoothie? There is no evidence that the oil is there and my son (3) drinks it down without a complaint.

We use organice unfiltered apple juice as the base and mix in blueberries or other fresh fruit.

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page