Need help- thrush & GV problems - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-11-2005, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After two wks of nystatin and diflucan, I decided to try gentian violet to clear up nipples and rash. I put it in baby's mouth, per Dr. Newman protocal, and on rash. He threw up right away and for a couple hrs afterward and again this morning- maybe unrelated as he does also seem to have a cold. He's only 4 wks old! I am very confused, though, bc the diaper rash seems worse this morning! Has anyone experienced any of this w/ GV? Maybe rash gets worse before better? Not sure whether I should continue treatments and, if not, what to do! Any thoughts?

thanks, Sunny
#2 of 8 Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 AM

...the only thing that's going to run the yeast out of your and your son's body is the beneficial bacteria in our GI tract that keep them out in the first place.

Check out "The Power of Probitics" thread here, for the details of how important the proper intestinal flora is. Also so a search for "candida" to get further details.

Here is a sample of the info. One that in fact mentions the inhibitory effects of L. rhamnous and L. fermentum on yeast:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Good luck,

Ray
#3 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 05:14 PM

Along the lines with what Goodpapa has mentioned....get some high quality acidophilus in you and your babe and some organic plain yogurt or Kefir in you. Gention Violet is derived from coal, I would not use in a baby that young. Don't mean to make you feel bad - I know a lot of people that feel safe using it but I don't.

I had a case of it for a long time and the thing that finally got it to go away for good was all the probiotics (acidophilus etc and yogurt).

You want to get your intestinal track back in balance - it's too acidic and that's what candida loves. Foods that cause acidity include:

wheat
dairy (other than yogurt, kefir)
sugar
processed foods
coffee
too much fruit even

One good source I know for probiotics (acidophilus and bifidus) is Celltech, website same as the name. That's what I used.

Good luck.
#4 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I am slowly making my way through the thread sent by goodpapa. It is very good and interesting, but I'm not sure what else to do to deal with this thrush problem. I don't eat dairy but I have been eating goat yogurt. I've been taking a probiotic from whole foods for 4 wks now and have slowly increased the amt I take each day. It's called Primadophilus by Natures Way and I'm now taking 4/day. Maybe that is not enough?? I also cut out all sugar about 3 wks ago. I still indulge in a piece of fruit once or twice a week bc I really miss it but I have been very careful bc I know yeast lives on sugar. I don't eat processed foods much and don't drink coffee. I also have been taking grapefruit seed extract (3x/day) and started oil of oregano last week (3x/day). I increased intake of garlic (Kyolic) and vit c bc I've read they help fight yeast. I am using a tea tree oil soap on me and baby and putting tea tree oil and vinegar in rinse cycle of wash. I am also using vinegar solution followed by grapefruit seed extract solution at diaper changes. I am so frustrated. I have another appt with my naturpathic physician tomorrow but I'm not sure she's going to have any other suggestions. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sunny
#5 of 8 Old 01-19-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

The answer to this question is probably out there already somewhere but with a 5 wk old and 4 yr old it is hard to find time to read all the threads. I have been thinking about what I have read, though, and I am realizing that maybe what I'm taking is not a "probiotic." It only contains lactobacillus rhamnosus and lactobacillus acidophilus. I did a web search to try to find a definition of probiotic but too much came up. Is this a probiotic?
#6 of 8 Old 01-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Wow, how frustrating - sounds like you have been trying so hard to battle this.

Probiotics are just healthy bacteria that encourage growth of more healthy bacteria. I don't know all the technical names but have used acidophilus and bifidus. But they have to be high quality, I do know that. Otherwise they may not be active enough to make a difference.

Are you worn out? Maybe some extra rest (that probably sounds impossible), a nap or two might help. The stress you are under because of the yeast in your family can also raise acidity levels.

The drugs you took for 2 weeks - they may have added to the problem, I have heard of this happening.

I hope the naturopath can help - with all that you are doing, I think it may be just a matter of time before you see improvement. I really hope you see relief soon.

Mary
#7 of 8 Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, appt with naturapath was helpful. I got knew probiotic and an immune system booster. I could certainly use more sleep, but with a 5 wk old and a 4 yr old, it's not going to happen! Thanks for your response. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all my efforts pay off soon!
#8 of 8 Old 01-22-2005, 11:28 AM

..what you have is a probiotic-- ie good intestinal flora.

But you need something with bifidobacterium in it as well, as they are important for the large intestine.

Notice that this probiotic has 4 bifida:

http://jarrow.com/products/BabYsJarroDophilus.htm

What are you using now and how do they compare to the above. Multiple types of bacteria is definitely better.

Your child (it would be good for both) needs probiotic supplementation as well. Put a little on your finger when nursing, the breastmilk is excellent food for the bacteria.

Good luck,

Ray

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page