Small bumps on back of arms? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2005, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend's son has this and has from a very young age. Her doctor told her that they could try creams and things to make it better, but that it couldn't be cured (which we all know too well, don't we?) AND that you're more likely to have it if you are German.

My friend and I are both mostly German. I have the bumps, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 04:35 PM

You're more likely to have it if you're German?!

I had this when I was a child, on my cheeks - I HATED it. It cleared up though, certainly by the time I was 13 or 14. I just put moisturiser on it every night, I wonder if there was a magic ingredient in it now! Or maybe my diet changed, I don't know. I didn't know what it was at the time, just that it looked bad.

I hope it doesn't come back.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:40 PM

I'd heard people of Celtic origins...mmm, maybe those 'northern euro' type descendents have specific diets or 'genetic factors' that lend the skin to build up the excess 'keretins' or proteins.

I never got it on my legs, but I do have it on the backs of my upper arms. It's gotten very light lately, but the scarring from the old ones still makes me not want to wear short sleeves.

I bought one of those 'dr. scholls' pedicare 'files' that looks like a wide 'emery' board and used that on them once. Made them smooth, but man, you can take a layer of skin off is you are not super careful...
Old 01-17-2005, 03:39 AM

(I want to say that I can't tell you how good or bad that doctor is. :LOL I'm just sharing what I was told.)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:14 AM

i have this too Glad to see i'm not the only freak.

Someone posted that exfoliation is bad? hmmm....

I actually exfoliate daily with a very light exfoliation cream and use cetaphil lotion daily. If I don't exfoliate, the problem just gets worse until they're absolutely hideous. Once it gets "hideous" I no longer will exfoliate but will apply a topical antibacterial cream (I use a tea tree oil combo) until the redness goes away and then back to my exfoliation treatments. If they're very red, exfoliation does indeed make it worse, but I try to stay one ahead of the game.

I've found the following to be helpful in minimizing : primrose oil (As several posters mentioned- pregnancy and cycle seem to affect), omega 3 intake, and probiotics. All 3 in general help my ezema (as well as avoiding milk.. but during hotchocolate season it's so hard ) so I guess if the two are related.. makes sense.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:53 AM

So that's what's going on with my arms--good to know!

I have a really nice Alpha Hydroxy Acid lotion that I am going to try--I hope it sloughs off the bumps. It's by Nonie of Beverly Hills and has much nicer ingredients than the Eucerin AHA cream, is vegan and not tested on animals, and smells yummy:

AHA! Body Lotion

Ingredients: Distilled Water, Wheatgerm Oil, COconut Oil, ALPHA HYDROXY ACIDS, Coconut Emulsifiers, Lemon Oil, Orchid Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar & Oil of Grapefruit Seed.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:15 AM

I have this and for the last year have been using Neutrogena Skin Smoothing Lotion, with awesome results. Will go check out that natural version above though! Both my little guys have unfortunately inheritated this from me! I need to add EFA's & some flaxseed to our diets I think!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

Old 03-05-2005, 01:34 PM

I developed this while I was pregnant and it never went away. What's weird is that it is only on the back of my left arm, but not my right!

I've treid a lot of things, none of which worked well enough to satisfy me. I can get the area smoother but the redness stays. It is better in the summer when my skin gets a little sun, but I don't want to increase my sun exposure for obvious reasons!

I will try to find that Eucerin cream or the Neutrogena lotion, and I'm going to try adding more Vitamin A. Does anyone know how much Vitamin A is recommended? I know it's possible to overdose on it, so I just want to be safe.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:13 PM

I developed the same thing after my ds was born.

It generally appears on the upper arms, upper thighs and bum. Every doctor I have seen says it occurs in people with Celtic heriage and is genetic. There is no cure.

The only thing that I have found that lessens the bumps is swimming in the ocean. Maybe something to do with the salt water. This summer I meant to ottle some ocean water and soak in it. Oh welll...July will be here some day.

I'm interested to hear what has worked for others.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:59 PM

My dd has this. I have found that daily gentle exfoliation in the shower followed by Kiss My Face Peaches and Cream Moisturizer has been very effective in minimizing her bumps. I have just started adding flax seed oil to her snacks. I want to get some actual seeds to grind up, too. I am hoping it helps.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 10-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
Pregnancy WILL make it WORSE. After three babies...mine is DEFINATELY worse. I now have a little on my thighs. Oh joy!

Years and years ago my derm told me that pregnancy could either make it much worse, or much better. Luckily, I'm in the second category. My skin has been relatively clear for nearly 3 years--which happens to be the exact length of time that I have been either pregnant or breastfeeding. I'm not sure if it will get worse again once I stop, and since I'm pg again it will probably be a few years before I can test that theory.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

How about this for a thread revival?

Anyway, I've found that adding fish oil and more animal fat to my diet has helped my arms clear up some.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 PM

I read the whole thread before realizing it was a year or two old. : I've had little bumpies on my upper arms for years. I've heard about this before, but when I read a link, it said that it can also be found on your face. I've never had a clear complexion, always had slightly rougher/blotchy cheeks. Must be the same thing! It's not bad enough that I feel embarrassed, just not as smooth and pretty as I could be. I have found that using moisturizer helps.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 PM

I have this on my arms and now on my face. It has gotten progressively worse over the last 3 years since I had my kids. It was better during pregnancy but got worse after. I'm not eating wheat or dairy (which are triggers for me) and taking CLO supplements and it does seem a little better. Daily exfoliation does seem to really help it for me, but right now it is really bad on my left arm. I read this really old thread when it popped back up because I have been trying to figure out how to get rid of it. I'm thinking maybe I should find some other things to try...

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 AM

My dh has been scrubbing the @&*@# out of the back of his arms in the shower. The bumps are almost gone.

I get the rest with tweezers b/c the hair/skin sticks up a little. I'm a proud member of the picking tribe.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:23 PM

I have KP too. Upper arms, thigh to a lesser extent. Gets better in summer, worse in winter. The latest development since my pregnancy is the addition of itchy scabby bumps on my scalp, mainly above the nape of my neck.

The ammonium lactate cream seemed to help a little but I never got in the routine of using it twice a day everyday as prescribed, so I thought 'maybe it would work if I used it consistently instead of 5-6 times a week or whenever I remembered to use it'. Gentle exfoliating also seemed to help a bit, but scrubbing too hard only makes it worse.

I have a large tattoo on my right arm/shoulder and have also considered covering both upper arms to camoflage the red bumpy chicken skin. So far that seems a bit drastic and too expensive.

Now I am very interested in eliminating foods that might aggravate it. As a young teen I had a positive skin test for allergy to wheat and corn, but my symptoms have been too mild to warrant a complete diet overhaul. I did try baking oat and rice flour breads for a while, but eventually decided to live with the bumpy skin and dark undereye circles. FWIW, my genetic heritage is Celtic.

Has anyone had seen an improvement in KP after eliminating wheat and/or corn? What about dairy? I don't know much about gluten sensitivity, is KP a symptom? I *think* I have seen an improvement since adding fish oil to my diet, the redness has diminished and the bumps are smoother. I would love for them to disappear, is this at all realistic?

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM

I have this on the backs of my arms and my butt It makes sense to me it's a vitamin deficiency. I found out recently (about 4 months back) that I'm gluten intolerant and cut gluten and my arms and butt are now much smoother than they've been in years. From what I've read, people with gluten intolerance have trouble getting all the nutrients they need because the gluten is messing up their digestion.

Also gluten intolerance is common in Europe (Ireland in particular has a lot of diagnosed celiacs - not sure of the numbers in Germany) so the Celtic connection would also make sense.

I also used to get eczema on my hands. I thought it was connected to dairy because when I ate dairy I'd get it. I cut gluten and after a few months, I can now eat dairy with no problem and no eczema.

Basically all *my* skin problems seem to be gluten, but that's me.

Oh, and my 5 year old son's cradle cap has started to FINALLY go away after I reduced his gluten intake (not really on purpose but since I can't eat it I don't feel like having it in the house so the kids are being cut back). I think that's related since it's also skin.

Edited to say that pregnancy (along with other stressors) is often cited as a trigger for gluten intolerance or celiacs. A person can either have the tendency lying dormant or they are sort of low level reacting but it gets worse after pregnancy. That was definitely true for me. I'd had digestive problems and skin problems for years but it wasn't til after my second pregnancy that things seemed to go a bit haywire.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I agree with PP who've said that it can be caused by a vitamin A deficiency. I started taking high-quality cod liver oils that you can only buy online, and mine went away.

A few months ago I got lazy and started using the TwinLab brand, and they came back again. I think they are using synthetic vitamins, and/or there's not as much vitamin A as what's listed on the label.

I got some Garden of Life cod liver oil, one of the only recommended brands you can get from a HFS, and lo and behold, they started going away. Whew.

BTW, beta carotene is useless for this problem, and is no solution for vitamin A deficiency.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
I got some Garden of Life cod liver oil, one of the only recommended brands you can get from a HFS, and lo and behold, they started going away. Whew.
I'll look for that.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:54 PM

I'm excited now I googled the term to see if I could read more (just out of idle curiosity really - it's never bothered me) and found that it's definitely linked to gluten. There is a thread on celiac.com of people who had it and it cleared up when they went gf. Which is not to say it's the cause for everyone of course, but it's just another piece of the puzzle for me.

Thanks for bumping this thread Still_Snarky
Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 PM

I have only read some of the posts, but this thread caught my eye. My sister recently visited the dermatologist and asked about these bumps on her arm (she and I have both had them our whole lives). He told her it is a genetic condition (forgive me if this was already mentioned!) Harmless, but a skin condition inherited from someone in your family. Uhhhh she told me the name of the condition but my hormonal brain just forgot...

User Tag List