Small bumps on back of arms? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had tiny bumps on the back of my upper arms for as long as I can remember. They got much better while I was pregnant but seem to be worse than ever now. They would get worse when I ate allergy foods when I was a kid and seem to be worse in winter months than in summer months. They also seem to be hereditary. Any ideas? Cures? I went to a dermatologist and she gave me some terrible prescription lotion that didn't help at all!
#2 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 02:43 AM

I have no clue what this is-but my sister has them. And they will intensify, but I've never heard her say what makes them worse. Sometimes the whole back of her arms get light pink/red!!

Hopefully someone else will know!
#3 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 02:51 AM

I've had this all my life, it's called Keratosis Pilaris. My sister works for a dermatologist, and for Christmas bought/gave me some body wash and lotion to use, they sell it but it's not a prescription type.

I have yet to use it, so I don't know if it works, I'm not sure of another cure or way to ease it though, sorry
#4 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 AM

It's related to a nutritional deficiency, but I don't know what.
#5 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 03:25 AM

Really? Wow! I never thought about that, funny enough. Just doing a search brings up information about a Vit A deficiency, interesting to know (after all these years lol)!
#6 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk4two
It's related to a nutritional deficiency, but I don't know what.
Interesting...Let us know if you find out more!
#7 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 AM

My husband gets them, too. It's been suggested that they are a staph infection. When he was on penecillan for strep (which was really mono) they did clear up. I'm off to google Keratosis Pilaris.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#8 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 11:38 AM

I don't know what they are, but I had a lot and many of them cleared up months into a candida diet. My chiro said that they were "toxins."

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#9 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Most mainstream docs will tell you that it's a genetic thing, inherited like brown or blue eyes. It is a permanent 'thing' but is controllable with daily care given to the 'bumps' in the form of mild AHA type creams and putting some moisturizing lotions on daily. I see in this dermadoc post, that lactic acid is one way to treat them...mmm...that's the same stuff in whey and our Kefir ferments...whoo hoo...another use.

Here is the link:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter51.asp

I've also heard on the http://www.keratosispilaris.org/ website about several folks with it, having treated it nutritionally. It's not really toxins, though you can have real achne bumps from that too. The KP is basically a bulid up of the proteins in your skin, that don't 'slough off' like they normally should, so it turns into little bumps around hair follicles.

I had them for most of my teen years, and so does my sister and brother.

I have noticed them 'clear up' in different seasons and when I used to swim alot. When I was 'low carbing' they seemed to clear up, but not always.

I have noticed they are almost gone now, with only a few 'bumps' here and there, and thought maybe it was due to the probiotics I've been adding into my diet. /shrug

Time will tell...
#10 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 04:00 PM

I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_84.html

I have this, as does my Dd #1 but I have not treated it in anyway.

Hope this helps.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#11 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia
I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_84.html

I have this, as does my Dd #1 but I have not treated it in anyway.

Hope this helps.
Very informative article by Dr. Greene! Thanks for all the help ladies!
#12 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 05:50 PM

My Ds#1 and I both have this...It does clear up when I remember to apply moisturizer at least twice a day, one of those times being directly after my shower...before I dry my arms. That is interesting it could be a vit deficiency!
#13 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 05:59 PM

I just took my ds to an allergist. Ds also has keratosis on his upper arms & cheeks. The allergist said it is a mild form of eczema. We use jojoba oil w/a drop of lavendar & chammomile on it & it really seems to help. (The dermatologist recommended Eucerin cream or hydrocortizone cream if they are itchy. I prefer the natural route.)

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#14 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 06:19 PM

I have these on my arms. I asked my dr what they were and he said they were a form of acne and gave me a cream. Long story short he was wrong. Ds has them on his arms and legs. I wouldn't be suprised if they did come from a vitamin deficiency as his diet is awful (we are working on it, but he is a very picky eater). I have tatts on my upper arms, and where the ink is I don't have bumps anymore. I am thinking about covering my whole upper arm in tatts to get rid of them. Unfortunately that won't help ds. I would love to hear more about supplements that might treat them.
#15 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenabyte
I see in this dermadoc post, that lactic acid is one way to treat them...mmm...that's the same stuff in whey and our Kefir ferments...whoo hoo...another use.
The mentioned treatment is to use a topical lactic acid, used to dissolve or dissasemble the protein plugs that are said to clog the pore. The lactic-acid-producing bacteria in Kefir or other ingested preparations will not have the same effect. I imagine speading Kefir on the skin would be just as effective as a cream with the same % of acid. Might be kind of icky, though.

#16 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 07:01 PM

I've had KP forever and tried EVERYTHING for it (natural remedies, that expensive AM-lactin stuff, and spendy cream called "KP Duty" which came from that Dermadoctor site) and *finally* I found something that works....Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Body Creme (at any drugstore.) I now clean out the shelves at my local store periodically. I'm excited b/c it's the first thing I've tried that's actually worked!

Also - use laundry stuff for sensitive skin (no fragrance, fabric softener etc) and don't manually exfoliate (ie with a scrub) - there's evidence that abrasive exfoliation aggravates it...

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#17 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 07:53 PM

Confessional time: It seems worse if I'm fatter. Something about the tension of the skin on the clothing makes it worse (waistbands and such). I've had good luck just using tweezers to remove the little tufts of skin, too. I think the number of red bumps has decreased by half through the removal of the plugs.

#18 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot
The mentioned treatment is to use a topical lactic acid, used to dissolve or dissasemble the protein plugs that are said to clog the pore. The lactic-acid-producing bacteria in Kefir or other ingested preparations will not have the same effect. I imagine speading Kefir on the skin would be just as effective as a cream with the same % of acid. Might be kind of icky, though.

Aye, I was thinking topical, but only using the whey (so no milky bits) or even making 'Kefiran water' like the dom suggests for facial washes.

Hey, the ancient queens used to bath in 'milk baths'...it's loaded with lactic acid...I'll bet there is a reason they added milk to the bath water...

So anyone else have the little brown discolored spots on their arms, even once the bumps go away?? Any fade cream that actually work?

Actually, regarding the Vit A link, I HAVE been eating tons more carrots lately since Ds2 is starting to eat that kind of stuff....so there probably is some good evidence to support that (well, personal and ancedotal).

I also have noticed when I am 'thinner' they seem less bothersome.
#19 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofone
I've had KP forever and tried EVERYTHING for it (natural remedies, that expensive AM-lactin stuff, and spendy cream called "KP Duty" which came from that Dermadoctor site) and *finally* I found something that works....Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Body Creme (at any drugstore.) I now clean out the shelves at my local store periodically. I'm excited b/c it's the first thing I've tried that's actually worked!

Also - use laundry stuff for sensitive skin (no fragrance, fabric softener etc) and don't manually exfoliate (ie with a scrub) - there's evidence that abrasive exfoliation aggravates it...

That sounds awesome, I'll have to look for it. Any chance you could type the ingredient list up. I'm kinda particular to what I put on my skin and this way I can see if I can order it, if I have no problem with the ingredients.

Thanks again for the recomendation!

Mmm, found it online actually. Here is the ingredient list:

Water, Urea, Mineral Oil, Sodium Lactate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Microcrystalline Wax, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Polygyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Isopropyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Bisabolol, Lactic Acid, Lanolin Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol

Mmm, water, pee, and mineral oil top three ingredients. I see it has lactic acid in it, the 'active' ingredient I'll assume. I think I'd rather rub Kefir water on me hehe Glad to hear it works though! I no longer use products with mineral oil in them. I wish there was an alternative product made without petroleum products!
#20 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 09:16 PM

Here you go: Water, Urea, Mineral Oil, Sodium Lactate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Microcrystalline Wax, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Isopropyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Bisabolol, Lactic Acid, Lanolin Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol

By far not the most NFL list of ingredients I've ever seen, to say the least!! : Just a disclaimer, I normally don't post here touting big chemical potions, but when I saw KP and I have had something work so well for me, I wanted to share :

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#21 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 PM

We cross posted Maybe I'll try the Kefir water too...actually really looking at the ingred. list skeeved me out a bit.

#22 of 51 Old 01-12-2005, 09:34 PM

I get this too but only in the winter. In the spring/summer/fall when my arms are exposed to sunshine, they go away.

Desiree

#23 of 51 Old 01-13-2005, 01:27 AM

Yes, it is keratosis pilaris. It is generally found to be hereditary, so if you have it, one or all of your children may get it. My mom has it...I have it. DH has it...his Dad had it. Our DS # 1 now has some very lightly on his upper arms. :
It is VERY common. MANY people have it and have never really thought to check out what it is.
Dermatologists will typically urge you to expose the affected area to the sun. A**backwards if you ask me considering the cancer risk with the sun but admittedly mine is lighter in summer.
The Lac-Hydrin cream did not work for me. He also prescribed tetracycline for it and I refused. What a crock. Long term antibiotic use for a skin condition that is not bacterial in composition? Uh, no thanks...not to mention the havoc it would wreck with the flora in the vagina and intestines. I read in a magazine recently that Eucerin Plus (has acids in it that help to exfoliate) works wonders. Bought it...been using it religiously for a month and no change. My arms are much softer though.
Pregnancy WILL make it WORSE. After three babies...mine is DEFINATELY worse. I now have a little on my thighs. Oh joy!
Last but not least the derm suggested laser treatments at a few hundred a pop with a minimum of 5 sessions. I am still searching for a natural remedy before considering lasering.
#24 of 51 Old 01-13-2005, 02:19 AM

Quote:
We cross posted Maybe I'll try the Kefir water too...actually really looking at the ingred. list skeeved me out a bit.

eheh, Hey, no need to : yourself, If I thought letting a horse or dog pee on my arms would cure it, I think I might just try it...hahah

I have not worn short or sleeveless shirts since I was a young gal..../sniffs

So any real cure would be appreciated! I think I will do carrots, expose arms to sun and try rubbing kefir water in morning to exfoliate it....
#25 of 51 Old 01-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Pregnancy WILL make it WORSE. After three babies...mine is DEFINATELY worse. I now have a little on my thighs. Oh joy!

It didn't worsen for me during the pgs, but after. I too noticed the migration to my thighs The cream is keeping it under control for me, and the sun does help, but ITA, I'm trying to stay OUT of the sun now that I'm a wiser woman (as compared to my reckess youth )

#26 of 51 Old 01-14-2005, 08:35 PM

I have this too on the backs of my arms, my upper legs and my tummy. I had always been told that there was nothing to be done for it(except for one doc my mom took me to when I was about 6 who told her if they pulled out all of my hairs on my arms it would go away! ). However, after I began adding flaxseed to my diet (and generally changing to a healthier diet), I am beginning to have smooth areas on my arms for the fist time in my life. The skin actually feels soft! It was 2 or 3 months before I noticed a difference. I am fairly certain it is the flax, because if I go a week or more without having any the smooth areas begin getting bumpy again. My ds has this too, so I am trying to add flax to his diet as well (groud up and added to his oatmeal or in smoothies).
#27 of 51 Old 01-14-2005, 09:48 PM

I've been bumpy all my life. My arms and legs mainly. I'm asked quite a bit if I'm cold....because they resemble goosebumps that just won't go away...sometimes they're red...sometimes they get dry and white...it's weird.

Edited to say...HUZZAH!!! I finally know what's wrong with me!!!! Now...to do something about it...
Bumpily yours,

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#28 of 51 Old 01-15-2005, 03:21 PM

I took my ds to a naturopath for the first time a few months ago, and she checked out his bumps. She diagnosed it as keratosis pilaris and said that an increase in essential fatty acids would help. I have been giving my ds flax oil, but not regularly, and it does help. I am planning on buying flax seeds to grind up myself next time I make it to the store. I also have them, as does my older ds and my dh. Were just abumpy little family.
#29 of 51 Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 PM

dh has this too

THANKS!!!
#30 of 51 Old 01-15-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Really? I'm so getting some of that stuff. I went to a derm for the first time last year and he gave me a sample of the Amlactin so I bought a bottle for *gasp* 16 dollars! Sheesh what is it made out of...gold? Needless to say it didn't work I've had KP my whole life and would love to find something that actually works. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page