constipation q. for Moms of mineral oil kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-12-2002, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is somewhat sad and I'm looking for a light at the end of the tunnel here....our 16 month old has had chronic constipation for over a year now...since he was 3 months old and completely breastfed. We have tried everything natural, working with a pediatrician, chiropracter and naturopath...dietary modifications and supplements, homeopathics, acupuncture, EVERYTHING.
We have tried: a diet with no grains at all, wheat free and dairy free on Mom's part and obviously on baby's part too, flax seed and oil, olive oil, various herbal tinctures and homeopathics, spinal adjustments, hydration, no bananas, mineral supplements, to give you an idea.
the only thing left to do is mineral oil....everyone is out of ideas...everyone being the naturopath, pediatrician and chiropracter....
of course I am nervous about the mineral oil, but baby simply is constipated even on a diet of only fruits and veg, no bananas, Mom on no dairy and taking flax oil and seed in everything....I don't see that I have many options here....trust me, it's been a year and I've tried it all. Our doctor seems to think the problem has something to do with the climate we live in...we live in the arid desert SW at 7000 ft altitude.
so I need to hear from mommies who's children have been put on the dreaded mineral oil... when do they start tapering off their dosages and will they ever poop on their own? please give me hope!!!!!
#2 of 5 Old 09-12-2002, 11:30 PM

i know exactly how you feel about this.

my ds has a huge problem with constipation as well and our dr. recommended for us to try mineral oil about 4 months ago. about a tablespoon in the evening.
i has made a huge difference in that my ds is not scared to have a bowel movment any more b/c it does not hurt. we were in this vicious cycle of him being constipated and then not wanting to go b/c he was scared it would hurt (he's 3). from what i understand the mineral oil coats the intestine and is not actually absorbed by the body. i went from giving him it every night to now only doing it maybe once a week. once he started going he kept it up on his own.

i hope this helps a bit.. let me know if you have any more questions..

good luck.. this is a difficult situation to be in.

peace..

~mary
#3 of 5 Old 09-13-2002, 03:38 AM

We did it briefly with DS#1 when he was just 3. Right when he weaned, he started holding his poops in, and then it hurt, and ... It was only because nothing else worked ... he'd hold them in 'til they got stuck on the way out and we'd have to get them out ... horrible.

Anyway, the mineral oil changed the situation, but was horrible, too. He was then totally unable to control it, and it would come out half liquid ... and we used very small amounts, much less than we were told to use, so it wasn't that we overdid it.

Yuck.

When we stopped the mineral oil after a horrible week, we just tried diet stuff that just didn't work at all. And then went to daily prune juice. Which worked fine. Just getting him to drink it willingly was a major victory.

There's a so-called natural laxative for kids called Senekot (not sure what it's made from) that my SIL uses with her son. Unfortunately they've been using it for 3 years already (he's 5) and that just seems ridiculous to me. But she says it works ... gets it moving, anyway ...

Good luck ...

- Amy
#4 of 5 Old 09-13-2002, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

how long was your son on mineral oil every day for, Mom2connor? when did you switch to just once a week and was there a transition period? I think Toby should be fine if we can just "retrain" his bowels to go more regularly....I mean he has NOTHING wrong with his diet....what could logically stop him up with just fruits and veg?!! It HAS to just be that his bowels are used to moving very irregularly and the poops just dry up from being in there too long....it's the only explanation that makes sense to me.
Fortunately Toby is only 16 months old and his poops don't seem to hurt him...but they are indeed pellets and it only happens rarely...maybe once every other day. I just want to deal with this problem BEFORE he has a painful poop and we start on THAT rocky road.:
any info on the course of mineral oil/laxative treatment and the duration of the treatment would be helpful....I just don't want him relying on the stuff for years....I only want to retrain his body to work well on its own.
#5 of 5 Old 09-18-2002, 01:02 PM

I was told when I was in nursing school (for some reason, even tho I was 20 and totally not interested in kids at the time, it stuck with me LOL) that children should NEVER take mineral oil on a regular basis for constipation because it blocks the absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E & K). A much better suggestion would be something like Flax Oil, either in teaspoon form or from little capsules that you squirt into juice (it is pretty much tasteless), or maybe Flax/Evening Primrose or Borage oils (they are all high in Essential Fatty Acids which are great for boosting the immune system). My 2 year old gets one cap of Flax oil daily for immune system strengthening in the winter and we just started, and I have noticed a huge change in his BM's they are soft and pasty now from just one capsule. Which is great because he just stopped nursing and is starting to get those little poop balls and this fixed him up - good side effect Anyway, back to the mineral oil, mineral oil is just the same thing as baby oil without the fragrance, it is a petroleum distillate and therefore is like a crude oil , it certainly is not food grade in my opinion and is nothing I would want to be ingesting and certainly not giving to my child even if it didn't block the vitamins.

So, look into the Flax, or primrose, or any other oils of that nature. More gentle and natural on the body and the boost of immunity as well.

The book SuperImmunity For Kids has a section on the benefits of EFA's on kids. So does the book Healing Ear Infections Naturally.

HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page