Pain relief for radiation treatment burns??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2005, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,I was hoping someone could help me help my Mom.She has breast cancer,and is going through radiation treatment.She had treatment 17 of 33 today.She's started getting burns on her breast,back,and neck area.Her throat is also starting to bother her,eating is getting very difficult.Is there anything she can do?She's using vit e oil right now on the burns,but nothing for her throat.The drs have to approve anything she uses,to be sure it won't interfere with the treatment or make the side effects worse.I'm not sure what to tell her to use.She wants to stay as far away from drugs as possible,she just stopped using vicodin and does not want to use it again.She wants something as natural as possible.I'll go check out Whole Foods tommorow,but it would be wonderful if I knew what to buy ahead of time.Thanks in advance!

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 11:24 PM

I've burned myself severely (2nd degree on my hand, to where the skin peeled off in sheets and left an open wound). I used pure lavender oil on it 2 times a day. I have no scarring, and the lavender seems to take the pain away very effectively. Your milage may vary of course.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!I will pick some up for my Mom tommorow,hopefully it will work for her too.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 AM

My mom had the same (or very similar) chemo treatments 25 years ago. There isn't very much that they will let the patient use. I can remember that they okayed Robitussin for sore throats, but I would definitely ask the docs before I gave her anything. I don't know what might aggravate the raditation burns, but I think that right now she's probably putting a lot of her faith in the docs, even if only because she has to in order to have some kind of safe harbor.

And do let her know that people do get better. My mom was past sixty when she was diagnosed, and she celebrated her 89th birthday this week!

User Tag List