Hypothyroidism? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a few questions for the mamas who are knowledgable in this area.

For years now, I have had ongoing health issues. Nothing huge, but my eyes and skin have been yellowish, I have lost enormous amounts of hair (and had to cut it many times due to the horrible condition of it), had serious issues with grains (throwing up blood, rashes, terrible digestion problems). I have been eating well for a long time (over a year at this point), including cutting sugar and grains out of my diet. I originally only cut out white flour, but due to the horrible reactions to other grains, I cut them all out. My rate of exercise has not changed, and I go to the gym regularly, as well as chase my toddler everywhere. I was quite thin my whole life until I turned twenty, and then I steadily began to gain weight. Nothing I have done seems to be working for the weight loss, and I am now about seventy pounds overweight.

I am in a phase of my life now where I am beginning to be extremely depressed. I'm constantly exhausted even though I get plenty of sleep, and I often feel like I can't do anything. My mum suggested recently that I take my temperature for three days, before meals and before bed, and let her know the results. My average temp has been 96.4, and I have never gone above 97.8. She told me she thought this was a sign of possible hypothyroidism, and that I should check it out with my doctor, but also thinks I should seek alternative methods before I am put onto a hormone replacement. Obviously I have no idea if I will even be diagnosed with this, but we're thinking ahead.

So, the questions. I know the diet issues have nothing to do with hypothyroidism. The other problems I am having, do they warrant a visit to the doctor? Does it sound like I may be hypothyroid? I wonder if it's not something else entirely, and I'm coming up short on research. I do think maybe I should go just to be tested, since we are currently TTC, and I have read that it's not particulary good to be undiagnosed in pregnancy. I would also ask for opinions on alternative methods of dealing with some of these issues. I can not afford to go to my naturopath right now, and am hoping that I can gather a wealth of info here on Mothering.

I'm sorry for the meandering post, my mind isn't really on straight right now, and my toddler just brought me his boots and said 'pweease!'. Time to go outside. :LOL

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I also just want to add that I have in fact been going to the doctor for the digestion/rash problems. I had a skin biopsy and duodenal biopsies to rule out Celiac Disease.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:18 PM

Yes...it sounds a bit like hypothyroidism. I am hypothyroidic and am on Levoxyl. Your TSH level in the blood (your thyroid releases this) can be measured and you'll know pretty quickly with just a simple blood test. Undiagnosed hypo-OR hyper thyroidism can wreck havoc on your mental state and your physical body. Depression, hair loss and in poor condition, fertility issues, little to no sex drive, extreme weight fluctuations or weight gain with no other apparent reason, cold often, skin issues, sweat easily, hot flashes...all of these and more are symptoms of either hypo- OR hyperthyroidism. Please get checked!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:43 PM

Hypothyroidism might account for 5-20 lbs, but not 70 lbs.

It sounds like you might have yeast issues (Candidiasis). Check out The Yeast Connection by William Crook.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:53 AM

Sound like hypothyroidism to me too.

As far as diet goes, you should limit your consumption of raw veggies like Broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage. It's ok to eat them steamed, but there something about them raw that will affect your thyroid. Also, I'd avoid ALL soy.

If you do eventually need to go on medication, be sure to check out Armour medication, a natural alternative.

Here's a good website:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/armour.htm

HTH
Old 01-15-2005, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO much for your info, ladies!

Gurumama, I'm wondering, if it is just a candida problem, would that account for the low temps, or would that be another problem entirely?

Lil'Whitney, that website is wonderful, and thanks so much for info on an alternative.

I'll make an appointment to see the doctor this week.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama
Hypothyroidism might account for 5-20 lbs, but not 70 lbs.
I disagree. The longer one is symptomatic and untreated, the more weight can be gained. And once the weight gain starts, it can really snowball. Unfortunately, not everyone loses all of the weight even after treatment.

To the OP: I wouldn't look at hormone replacement as a last-ditch effort to be avoided if possible. If your body is low on the hormones, then replacing them is a very good idea. It's not the sort of thing that can be treated other ways or turned around most of the time, unfortunately. And the sooner you get on the meds (if you need them), the faster your recovery will be. This is coming from someone who is very anti-medicine.

I second the suggestion for Armour! It's made my life so much better. Few docs will start you out on it, but if the levothyroxine meds don't work, they may consider switching you if you push for it.

Also, I suggest the book "Living Well With Hypothyroidism." Lots of good info in there.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:09 AM

I agree with the other posters.

Go and get checked. As much to rule it out as anything. Whether it's thyroid or not you don't sound very well, no point in struggling on if you can be treated.

Hypothyroidism CANNOT be successfully treated by anything other than hormone replacement. It does more harm than good long term to go untreated and can have consquences in pregnancy if it goes untreated. It is the placenta that is affected, the baby produces its own thyroxine but the mother's side of the placenta can work less efficiently.

About.com have an excellent section on Thyroid issues.

All the best.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:33 PM

I was just going to start my own thread about this, but did a search first and found this one so mind if I chime in too??

I'm trying to connect the dots of my symptoms...

~ EXTREMELY itchy skin (I am scratching myself to the point of causing big raised welts/hives )
~ Hair loss (not sure how much is normal PP hair loss or if this is a concern -- I'm at 7 months PP and still losing clumps of hair)
~ IBS/possible lactose intolerance

My mom has been treated for hypothyroidism since my sister was born 29 years ago and the symptoms she remembers are the hair loss, itchy skin, easily bruising, and being VERY tired.

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:53 PM

I just wanted to add on, I have been hypo. since my daughter was born, and it has taken more than one year to get stable. Also, the threat of depression with hypo is very very real.

Get the blood test, and don't rule out taking synthroid or some other thryroid hormone replacement. Personally, I would only go the route of Armour if the synthroid doens't work, and that make take some time.

Dharmama-

Thyroid issues can be inherited, and you are at greater risk if you have relatives who have it. Also, it is not widely known, but I have heard that as many as 17% of women who give birth get hypothyroidism, and sometimes it goes away, sometimes not. I would get the blood test (it's very simple). If your symptoms do not go away, get your blood tested again. I had a thyroid test after my daughter was born, but in the post partum period, what is typical is that your thyroid stops working as well, then it cranks up into overdrive, causing HYPERthyroidism for as many as 3 or 4 months.

It's really a sucky thing to happen to you. I am still depressed, a lot, I am still overweight by 20 pounds, and I still need 10 hours of sleep every other night.

Jessica

User Tag List