A Doctor Actually SAID it, People! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see this on the plastic wrap all the time: "the poultry industry is federally prohibited from injecting hormones." I can't afford to buy organic chicken. Neither can the average person. I know meat has its own hormones without adding any. A person has to be really sensitive to be very affected by them. I'm concerned because I wonder what the ramifications of extra hormones in are meat have on women with hyperemeisis gravidarium. Saturated fat causes a hike in female hormones that affect puking. That's any saturated fat, not just animal. I had it myself and while I once wanted a large family, I;m now just hoping that I'll get the courage up tp try again some day. I do have one happy healthy daughter from my first and only pregnancy, but I;d like her to have a sibling.
#32 of 43 Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 PM

I'm glad you have decided to make a radical change to your diet, however I would like to urge you to rethink going totally vegan. I followed a strict vegan diet for over a year. In that time I lost a lot of weight and began to suffer from vitamin B12 deficiency. The most disturbing symptom was unexplainable feelings of extreme anger. I also had serious insomnia. This was occurring even though I was taking B12 supplements.

I found out that the supplements were providing a B12 analog, if you will, but my body wasn't able to utilize it like true B12, which can only be gained through animal sources.

I am still vegetarian, but now I eat dairy and eggs(organic, of course), and I feel much healthier. I would suggest that you atleast occasionally eat either- especially if you can get raw milk.

Good luck!
#33 of 43 Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM

That's awesome! I'm glad someone finally said it!

Fio

:tandem
#34 of 43 Old 01-19-2005, 02:41 PM

I don't believe that diet can cure everything, even if I could afford these dietary restrictions, which I can't in 99% of the cases.

When I posted to ask about natural alternatives for treating my asthma, I got two responses from people on the same drug regimen as myself, and not a single one offerring even a suggestion for a natural treatment.

When I posted to ask about natural treatments for depression and bipolar disorder for someone who's allergic to St. John's Wort, I didn't get a single answer.

I've had loads of doctors suggest alternative treatments, rather than medications; I'm still taking the pills, though. I haven't been able to do anything and I haven't been able to find anything aside from regular, evil allopathic medicine to control my asthma or my depression.

I'm not at all surprised that your doctor recommended a change in diet. In my experience, they do that all the time. I don't see anything to get excited about.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#35 of 43 Old 01-19-2005, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
When I posted to ask about natural treatments for depression and bipolar disorder for someone who's allergic to St. John's Wort, I didn't get a single answer.
I also don't think that diet can "cure" everything. But it can help with pretty much everything. That said, I think that a complete rejection of allopathic medicine is just as shortsided as a complete rejection of all other treatment modalities.

As for bipolar disorder, and particularly bipolar depression, there are lots of treatments that are known to help some-to-most people that try them. The biggest, related to diet, is Omega-3s. (Not broad-spectrum Omegas [3-6-9], because the problem is actually an imbalance in the proportions.) Studies that have shown efficacy used from 1g to 8g daily of EPAs.

That said, using allopathic medicine to help treat a cronic disease is not inherently wrong - relying JUST on allopathic medicine and trusting it blindly and expecting it to be perfect is wrong (not to mention stupid). Also expecting it to the be best option in every case is wrong - as many people have said here, it's often not.

As for gout, yes, MDs will often push medicine, but if an MD doesn't talk about how gout relates to diet, they're being criminally negligent. The FIRST line of treatment for gout is avoiding certain types of proteins. Resting just on one treatment (cherry juice) without understanding why it works and without watching the other aggravations of the disease is nearly as bad as relying just on the allopathic drug prescribed. (And may I say now the going cold-turkey on many medicines is a very, very bad idea? Taking charge of your own care isn't - it's brilliant! -, but do be careful to do it knowledgeably. It's also worth noting that most "beware these drugs!" news stories are WAY overblown or ill presented, and that they rarely present information that MDs didn't already know or suspect.)

I'm really glad there are MDs out there who are willing to admit there are other ways of dealing with diseases, and that the OP encountered one. Yes, it would be better if he were promoting less harmful (if harder!) methods first, but considering how many MDs are just plain ignorant about other modalities, it is worth celebrating when you find one who isn't!
#36 of 43 Old 01-19-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if you have the Buteyko method of asthma treatment in the States, but here is a couple of sites to check out:

http://www.buteyko.co.nz/

http://members.westnet.com.au/pkolb/buteyko.htm

They have a high rate of success of treating asthma drug free, and this high result is directly related to the amount of committment the sufferer gives to the treatment.

It seems also that it is hard to see a Naturopath without digging deep into our pockets, but in case it is ever an option, one can help you with chemical imbalances also.

Thanks, Applecore I am a naturopath myself actually, but I can't technically call myself that because I haven't practised in a decade (in other words, I'd need to go through it all again :LOL). I have a lot of resources on tap for nutritional support, and what you say is definitely a risk, so I will be keeping my eye on such things.

As someone in the natural field, or at least my fingertips still are, I have come across mostly negative things with doctors. It took until last year for my doctor to recognise cranberry for treatment of urinary infections! It was even published in a medical journal. The Natural community has known this forever, but doctors refuse to believe that their decade of expensive training can be trumped by picking a few berries - IYKWIM.

I have banged my head against allopathic walls for 15 years. So while I am glad others have had positive allopathic experiences, it isn't the case for so many others. Even diet and lifestyle is neuvo for docs - but herbs and food for treatment? They are taking baby steps into that frey, but they really have no clue, to be honest. Nutrition and herbs take years to learn about, aside from a medicine degree - and that is half the problem.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#37 of 43 Old 01-19-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:The FIRST line of treatment for gout is avoiding certain types of proteins. Resting just on one treatment (cherry juice) without understanding why it works and without watching the other aggravations of the disease is nearly as bad as relying just on the allopathic drug prescribed.

I do know what the first line of treatment for gout is and I do know why cherry juice works and have explained that to my grandma...just didn't see the enitre explanation as relevent to the original post. I originally told my grandma that being on the Adkin's diet and water pills are the aggrivating factors for her gout (doctor never mentioned diet or water pills--just perscribed a medication to treat the symptoms). However, convincing her to go off of a high protien diet which is helping her loose weight is a difficult task. She has a delicate heart condition and she went off her water pills once and ended up in the hospital with fluid on the heart--I am not going to tell her to go off of medications that keep her out of the hospital. Seing as the cherry juice has no side effect for her and has gotten rid of the gout, I would say it is a good thing.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#38 of 43 Old 01-19-2005, 09:30 PM

I wanted to say Welcome to the Vegan Lifestyle. I and my son have been vegan for his whole life–16 years. We are in great health. And while I don't believe that diet will cure everything, it will prevent the VAST majority of the medical problems that americans currently face.

As for the B12 issue, rather than taking pills, I eat fortified foods and things like nutritional yeast which has lots of B12. I don't know whether my son and I have been lucky, whether the foods which have been supplemented are simply the rights ones with a form of B12 that we can absorb or what, but we have never had problems.

I also always tell my carers (rarely allopathic doctors) that I am vegan. When I was pregnant the 1st time around, I couldn't even tell them that I was vegetarian because 17 years ago that horrified them despite being healthier than the average american diet. These days, especially among alternative practitioners, I have no problem. Right now I am using mostly an acupuncturist and a midwife. Until a year or so ago, I was seeing a naturopath. I don't know where all of you live, but I have found that it is cheaper to see alternative practitioners and pay out of pocket (usually) than to even try using insurance–they always seem to have an excuse not to cover anything and leave me with the bill which is much larger.

And unfortunately, I have to agree with those people who say that most of our society are too lazy to change their diet. First of all, they seem to resent being told that is what is needed, even though it is probably both less expensive and safer. And then many "cheat" on the dietary changes and blame the diet for not working. Part of the problem is that when Americans think diet, they think restrictions /deprivations rather than lifestyle change due to most diets being focused on weight loss. At any rate, I find that the vast majority of alternative practitioners are knowledgeable on diet and how it affects health whereas doctors, whether aware or not, act as if I am some radical freak. I may be radical, but I'm not stupid, flaky or a freak of any sort and I am darned tired of putting up with THEIR attitudes and problems personally.

So glad to find the MDC forums where i can speak to rational, THINKING people
#39 of 43 Old 01-20-2005, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Big kiss for you, Cresorchid, just the info I needed! Thank you. My DD and I eat lots of sea vegetables, especially nori in our miso soup, and I just found out that where a cup of milk contains 118 mg of calcium, only 2 TABLESPOONS of nori contains 260 mg. So that solves my calcium dilemma (of course, the tofu wasn't hurting). Strange, but that was one thing I didn't know - even with my pile of nutrition books.

I have read more about nutrition in this last month than in my whole college degree . I am turning into a food trivia freak.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#40 of 43 Old 01-20-2005, 08:00 PM

I amazed a doc who was not holistic actually said it was diet! Wow! I am learning alot about diet and it's effect on health. I agree that staying away from hormone laden meats is important, but soy is also high in estrogen so any vegans should stay away from it as well.

I am not vegan, but I eat only meat free of hormones, and buy organic foods only. I plan on doing a complete blood and colon detox to try and control my acid reflux and depression.

Roxanne
Daniel 8/9/03
#41 of 43 Old 01-21-2005, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

B12 deficiency is quite rare. In cultures that have vegan diets exclusively (no animal products whatsoever), B12 deficiency is almost unheard of. They believe it is in conjunction with a few other problems in the body (such as bacteria not producing it effectively and the storing of it faulty), including sourcing the vitamin correctly.

You can get vitamin B12 from sea vegetables and nutritional yeast and tofu. It is only in tiny amounts, but tiny amounts are all the body needs. The body also stores vit b12, so you can eat a lot of, say, the yeast a few times a week. It is cheaper to eat vegetables, because rice is cheap, and vegetables are much cheaper by the pound. The other good reason to go veggie at least, if not vegan is the amount of food it takes to feed a cow. If we cut back 10% of our meat consumption (the United States) we could feed an extra 60 million people in the world. So, if you don’t do it for your health, do it for a life – someone else’s.

I am testing this info here, as I am thinking of starting a thread about it. There are many misunderstandings about nutrition, especially the vegan diet.

#42 of 43 Old 01-21-2005, 10:22 AM

I would love to see a vegan thread. Of course, I'm not sure I would ever find it! This site is so huge I get lost on it. I don't know all the sub-categories from the major ones yet.

How long did it take you to get comfortable finding your way around MDC?
#43 of 43 Old 01-21-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How long did it take you to get comfortable finding your way around MDC?
It didn't take me long, because I was reading and posting pretty full on for a few months :LOL. (see my post count and join date : ) I find I hang around one or two places for a while and then move. Like, I will hang out at Talk Amongst Ourselves for a week or so, then take a tentative peek into News or Spirituality. I haven't come into Health for ages, so I actually posted this thread in Talk AO, and had it moved, cos I totally forgot about Health. :LOL You will find a couple of places where you get to know the posters and the subjects, and that becomes a sort of "base" for you.

I will do a search for vegan threads, and see what has already been gone through recently. Sometimes it can get heated, because veggies and meaties don't, uh, see eye to eye - usually due to vitamin B12, iron, and animal cruelty debates.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page