Can probiotics cause constipation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2005, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone touched on this before awhile ago, but I wanted to get any other opinions.

I've given my dd probiotics since she was 4 months; she's now 11 months. I have a history of asthma and allergies, and from my research, I've ascertained that probiotics and healthy flora in the gut can be good for the immune system, especially for those who have an inherited disposition for allergies.

Trouble is, my dd's always constipated. It goes away when I take her off the probiotics. Yet everything you read suggest that probiotics relieve constipation instead of cause it. What do you think? I'd really like to give them to her to help minimize her risk of inheriting bad allergies and asthma, but I don't want her to be in pain either. It's a tough call. I was just looking for other experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Probiotics have always relieved constipation for me, my ds, and my dh so I'm kind of at a loss.

Have you always used the same source/brand of probiotics? I believe some have dairy in them?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 PM

When I put my almost 3 year old on probiotics her poop changed from every day and mushy to every 2-3 days and firm. I wouldn't call this constipated though. She had no undue straining. For us it was a real improvement since she has always had really sticky, mushy poops. I've been lazy about the probiotics since Christmas and, interestingly, she is still pooping every 2-3 days, but the consistancy has returned to its former mushy state. Blech!!

Trying to get my bearings...

User Tag List