A spoon full of... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-15-2002, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. Could someone give me tips on giving my son Cod Liver Oil or suggest other sources of Vitamin D (I'm using to help him absorb calcium & help turn back caries). I've used a syringe & a spoon. Both situations he gags & almost heaves. I have even gotten Cherry Flavored Cod Liver Oil. Mind you it still tastes yucky & I'm thinking I'll stop all together, but I wanted to bounce it off you all for the moment.
#2 of 6 Old 09-16-2002, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The best source of vitamin D that I've ever heard of is our own body. We produce this one for ourselves when we are exposed to sunlight.

The trick is to get enough without sunburn or encouraging future skin cancers.

Take him outside to play in short sleeves. In summer, before 10 and after 2 are best to avoid the most intense rays. In winter, go outside to play and let him get sun on his face.

For the rickets issue which was in the news awhile back, the main problem was that the children developing rickets were in situations which imhibited sun exposure and vitamin D production: darker skin{which makes absorbing enough light more difficult}, northern climate{less and less intense sunlight}, staying inside all the time....

"What will you do once you know?"
#3 of 6 Old 09-16-2002, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Meiri. Maybe I'll just toss the cod liver oil for now & rely on the best source Mother Nature.
#4 of 6 Old 09-18-2002, 06:53 PM

cod liver oil also comes in a gel cap. That form is much more palatable. what does-help turn back caries mean? just curious!
#5 of 6 Old 09-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Banned

Make an orange juice smoothie, goes a long way towards diguising the taste.
#6 of 6 Old 09-18-2002, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, myrhhmaid. I was using the cod liver as a diet supplement for Vitamin D which helps the body absorb Calcium better & hopefully avoid the breakdown & decay of my ds's teeth & build up his bones, but upon looking through archives & w/ Meiri's posting, it appears that sufficient D is received through exposure outside & in the diet, and that oral hygiene is more advantageous at reducing cavities. So, long story, short, I've stopped being so paranoid & have been doing more brushing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page