Post Natal Depression, Bfeeding & Drugs... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-15-2002, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have PND.

Basically, I feel I may be a candidate for anti-drepressants or other mind-altering drugs but am not keen to take anything if it is not safe when breastfeeding (my 7 month old who is teething and is bfeeding constantly but not eating solids hardly at all at the moment!!).

Anyone have any information they could share with me on this???

Thanks,
Isobel.
#2 of 5 Old 09-15-2002, 04:05 PM

Hi

I dont know what you've tried already, but there are some great suggestions here:

http://www.kellymom.com/ppd.html

The things that were/are the hardest things to do, but the most helpful for me are/were excercising 30 mins/day and getting outside.

I also still take evening primrose oil 1000 mg everyday, a time-release B50 vit, and a regular multi-vite.

I know a lot of moms do take anti-depressants while breastfeeding with great success. You have to take care of yourself to be able to take care of your baby.

((hugs))
#3 of 5 Old 09-15-2002, 04:16 PM

hey, i take paxil, a very low dose, and took it throughout my pregnancy and while nursing, well, we are still nursing.
i didn't want to take drugs either, but i had tried everything else, so i finally relented. my experience has been quite positive. i know it's not like that for everyone, but paxil worked for me almost immediately and has continued to work ever since. my midwife says it is the drug which shows up least in breastmilk and appears to have no ill effects on baby. obviously, it's too soon to make a claim like that, but without my "happy pills" i honestly don't think i'd be a competent mother.
good luck with whatever you decide to do!
#4 of 5 Old 09-15-2002, 09:07 PM

Hale's Medications and Mothers Milk has a chart on anitdepressants and SSRI's. I would work with a doc (preferably a psychiatrist...general docs can precribe but I think are not so good with dosage adjustment and medication selections) and go forward if other things are not working for you like exercise, meditation, etc. Lots of woen have depression that is more serious and need medication. Rather than wean, try to choose your medication with care. I found BF was one of the things that helped keep me going...Once when I went 8 hours without BF when DD was about 3 months old, I suddenly felt SO bad. It was then I realized how well the prolactin was working for me personally.
#5 of 5 Old 09-16-2002, 02:36 AM

Isobel,

Have you browsed the PPD Forum? There has been a lot of info & discussion on this topic. Personally, I have taken Zoloft for PPD & through my last pregnancy. Please read the threads over there. I do not have the energy to type it all again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page