Something went "pop." Could it be a rib?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-27-2005, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just getting over the flu and bronchitis, and it's been a long haul. I've been coughing and coughing (and did I mention coughing?) like crazy, and yesterday I both heard and felt something in my ribs give a little "pop!" Now I feel like I've got a pulled muscle on my rib cage under my boob, and it hurts to lie on it, roll over, reach for something etc. When I'm lying down I can also feel a lump on one of my ribs.

Not to be paranoid, but could I have done damage to a rib? Or is it more likely a pulled muscle? Anyone got experience with this sort of thing?

TIA!
nancy
#2 of 8 Old 01-27-2005, 01:36 PM

That happened to me once. I just chalked it up to a pulled muscle as well. I get lumps in my muscles all the time if I overuse them or if I've pulled them. Mine eventually went away (very very very gradually) and I just took pain meds while it went away. Sorry you got hurt.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#3 of 8 Old 01-27-2005, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Kathryn!
I sneezed this afternoon and almost cried from the pain, so called my midwife, who said I probably either cracked a rib or separated cartilage. In either case, not much to do except wait it out. Who knew!
#4 of 8 Old 01-27-2005, 07:36 PM

Yeah, they can't set a broken rib very easy. :LOL My sister broke one of her ribs when she was six months old (long story) and it eventually healed up all on it's own. Hope you feel better soon.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#5 of 8 Old 01-27-2005, 07:48 PM

I had pneumonia while pregnant and broke two ribs coughing. The breaks were confirmed by x-ray after birth. It was 16 years ago and I still have pain in those ribs.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#6 of 8 Old 01-27-2005, 08:32 PM

I think it's called pleurisy or it's a pleurisy related malady. I had that happen to me when I was selling custom made jewelry in a mall. I wanted to just fall to the floor everytime I coughed or moved! I WAS really afraid i'd be flopping around the floor of this mall!! It was AWFUL!!! It did take some time for recovery. It's an inflammation of the rib cartilage. and coughing can dislocate, sprain or break the ribs.

boy, that was a few lifetimes ago...
#7 of 8 Old 01-28-2005, 11:26 AM

It's much more likely that you have a rib out of alignment than a cracked rib. See a chiropractor! They help your rib back into its proper place. I've had a rib "out" before and it feels just like you're describing -- hurts like heck and a lump. My chiropractor (DH!) adjusted me and it felt better nearly immediately! No pain meds necessary (not that they would do any good anyway considering it's a structural problem). Good luck!
#8 of 8 Old 01-28-2005, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help! I'll definitely get it checked out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page