Yeast rash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-17-2002, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 14 month old daughter keeps getting yeast rashes on her diaper area, ever since she was on antibiotics about 5 months ago. The doctor prescribed nystatin cream, and it clears it up wonderfully, but a week or two later it is back. What can I do to get rid of this once and for all? She has no symptoms of yeast anywhere but this diaper rash.
#2 of 7 Old 09-18-2002, 01:44 PM

How long do you do the Nystatin before stopping? My doc said do it for two weeks even if rash is gone before that, so if you didn't do that, I'd try that. My ds went away after two weeks of nystatin, and the 2nd time he got it, we stopped a little before 2 weeks and it came back! HTH
#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2002, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I will try that, thanks. Also, one thing I have noticed lately is that dd's pee smells horribly of ammonia, what's up with that?
#4 of 7 Old 09-20-2002, 10:49 AM

Another thing you might consider since the diaper rash is not clearing up is that the yeast is now in the intestines. A simple urine test can give the results of that. If that is the case, you can try Grape Seed Extract drops, or Diflucan, or Nystatin (perscription). You can try yogurt to help clear this also, this can help to re-establish good gut growth. Grape seed will kill the Canditis. Nystatin may take longer than several weeks especially if the candidtis really has a stronghold.

This is a very common problem with children who later develop autism. Is the child vaxed?
#5 of 7 Old 09-20-2002, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

No, we have never done any vaccinations. Like I said, this all started during a round of antibiotics, about 3 months ago.
#6 of 7 Old 09-20-2002, 05:03 PM

oh my GOSH!! i am seriously freaked out.. my daughter has had a persistent yeast rash and now i'm freaked about autism!!!!!! please tell me more!!!!! she is only 6 months and i am so scared of autism now!!!!!!!!!!
#7 of 7 Old 09-20-2002, 08:21 PM

Autism is very complex. I'm just stating that a lot of kids with persistant rash can develop autism post mmr vaccination. There are many things wich all contribute to developing autism, this perhaps is just one piece. I wouldn't freak. My daughter has had yeast trouble post antibiotic. She is unvaxed. We clear it up with no problems.

I would still look into healing the gut from the yeast. Antibiotics kill the "good" flora in the intestines. The stuff is very persistant and you have to be diligent. Yogurt, grape seed extract and pro-biotics to recolonize. That should probably be suffiecient.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page