Questions about 9 week old -- URGENT **UPDATED** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My niece is nine weeks old and weighs about seven pounds. She has had a cough for about two days and has not been eating well. Today she has had about 1.5 ounces all day. She had about the same yesterday. She is very sleepy today. Her lips are dry, but her mouth is still moist. Can she be dehydrated and still have a moist mouth?

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#2 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Sorry, no idea. I hope she feels better soon.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 07:20 PM

That is a tiny 9 week old. Did she start out tiny, or is she losing/not gaining weight? I'd be seriously worried about a baby taking only 3 oz. of fluid in 2 days, and would get her to a doctor right away.
#4 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 07:23 PM

I agree. With a baby that little & being the weekend, I'd try to get her in this evening.
#5 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 07:25 PM

How many wet diapers has she had? To be properly hydrated she needs at least 6 SOAKING wet ones. And I have to ask nursing or formula?
#6 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

She is bottle fed formula (soy) and has had one diaper this morning with a loose stool. My SIL called me about an hour ago about this and wanted advice. I figure we will probably end up at the ER.
Carissa was born 5 lbs. 11 ozs. She isn't gaining weight well at this point. She lost weight down to 5 lbs. 2 ozs. within four days of her birth and didn't start gaining again until she was about three weeks. The doctor is watching the weight thing. My older two were the same way and weighed 8 lbs and 7 lbs. 8 ozs. at three months (they were nursed). The big concern is the lack of diapers and her being so small. She isn't as awake today, sleeping more than yesterday. That was a red flag to me as well.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#7 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 08:09 PM

Go now, do not wait!
never risk it with a baby this young/small

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#8 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 08:13 PM

I would definitely take her to a doctor, two days of acting lethargic and not eating is never a good sign. The cough worries me, too - has she been around anyone who could be carrying pertussis (whooping cough) - that can hit babies really hard and is very important to catch early.
#9 of 14 Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 PM

Make sure they test her for reflux!! Here's Nitara's story . She started out as FTT and I finally got her dx by taking her to ER and having her admitted.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 14 Old 01-29-2005, 12:08 PM

Any updates? I am so worried. Plus have her check into a non allergenic formula like Neocate.
#11 of 14 Old 01-29-2005, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

I posted an update in TAO. Basically the ER (we went last night) said she didn't seem to be very dehydrated. They gave her pedialyte and she drank all four ounces. They put a urine bag on her to see if she peed (no luck). They tried an IV but after one try couldn't get it, I suggested that maybe since she drank the pedialyte we could wait on the IV. The doctor said that since she didn't seem very dehydrated that was fine. The drew blood and said the test came back fine, but showed "a virus." They sent her home with the urine bag on and said call the doctor in the morning if there wasn't any urine. We are headed back the ER this morning as she had no urine and the nurse at the doctor's office said we should take her back in. We are going to the Children's Hospital about an hour away instead of the local hospital.
She is on Zantac for reflux, but there have never done an upper GI to diagnose. I personally think she should have one done. We will see what they say this morning.
Thanks for all the responses.

#12 of 14 Old 01-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Any updates?
#13 of 14 Old 01-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Just checking in to see how she is doing.
#14 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

We went to Children's Hospital on Saturday early afternoon. They admitted her overnight for observation. They said she has a virus which is going around where we live. She started to get a rash Sunday morning which apparently goes with the virus. She was released on Sunday night and is doing alright. She has reflux (we already knew this) and they said the virus was making the reflux act up more. They had us giving her two ounces every 2-3 hours of formula. She is having wet diapers now, but still not as many as before.
I spent the night in the hospital with my SIL and Carissa. I noticed she doesn't really seem to wake up for feedings. She will kinda squirm and whine, but if Mom gave her a binky she would go right back to sleep. When the nurses had Mom wake her up every three hours to eat she would take 2 ounces, so I am thinking Mom just needs to wake her up every three hours to feed her. I am going to have to just keep checking in with Mom b/c she is very busy with a four year old, two year old and one year old on top of Carissa. I wonder if maybe time gets away and she doesn't think about how long it has been since she ate last. I know I had trouble in the hospital keeping track of when she last ate.
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts/prayers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page