Natural fever reducer for children? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-01-2005, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! My 2 year old and 4 year old (as well as myself!) are all sick with a flu-like virus. Our fevers are all around the 100-101 mark. We also have coughs, stuffy noses, and mildly sore throats.

I am hating that the only children's fever reducer that I can find is tylenol because it's full of crap - red dye #40, artificial ingredients, etc.

Does anyone know of anything else I can give them? Of course, I'll use the tylenol but would love an effective alternative.

They are having echinichea lollipops right now and I've given them Little Colds dropperfuls to help with the other symptoms. I've also given them homeopathic vitamin C from Hyland's.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
#2 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 01:18 AM

I often use the homeopathic rememdy Belladonna for fevers.
#3 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 AM

Pepper,
I use an herbal blend made for kids,which I've used for years. All my kids have really responded well to it for fevers.It's from Herbs for Kids called 'Temp Assure". It has yarrow,catnip,echinachea,and elder.
Lisa
#4 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 03:22 AM

I am wondering why you want to reduce their fevers? I know fevers are not at all comfortable but they have their purpose in 'cooking' the bad bugs.

Get well soon
#5 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 02:47 PM

I agree with the PP, the fever you describe sounds perfect. It means your immune systems are doing their jobs. It's a good thing.

Everthing else you're doing sounds good, too. Chicken soup with lots of garlic might help. Is everyone drinking lots of water?

Keep up the great work, mama and get well soon!
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

My 2 year old's fever went away last night so all is well with her except for stuffiness and some other mild symptoms. I was concerned because she had it for 3 days.

My 4 year old was telling me last night (his fever got up to 102.5 auxillary) that the room was spinning and the dresser was floating so that kind of freaked me out. I did end of giving him one dose of tylenol just to make him a bit more comfortable. He's still feverish this morning - 102.5 still.

I know that fevers are doing their job. I read the Mothering article on it a couple months ago. I guess all that western medical conditioning is still lingering on...

My fever is also gone but now I'm coughing up (sorry, TMI!) thick dark green mucous so I'm concerned about an infection as I'm 5 months pregnant. And my lips are covered in cold sores--oh, the fun
#7 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 PM

Catnip and Elderberry combined in a tea work great for regulating a fever (not reducing it). Helps it along its way, so to speak. Plus lots of fluids. Fyi, if not familiar with herbal catnip (as opposed to commercial gross stuff bought for cats), it is a kind of mint. And the elderberry will turn the tea a beautiful burgundy color - kids go for it.

Chicken soup is also my favorite cure for just about any ill. And if you can get raw garlic into your children somehow, that would be great. My sister purees it and puts in GF juice and her daughter can't taste the garlic.

Hope you're all better soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page