Is this a spider bite? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2002, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI there. My 4 year old dd had a bite on her arm last night. It looked like a mosquito bite but it was harder. Today it has a large round circle around it. She says it doesn't hurt and the circle is going away already. I was thinking that this was a spider bite. Do you agree? And if so, can I just leave it alone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2002, 12:09 AM

It sounds like it. Was it bigger than a sqito bite. The only thing that would concern me is the circle around it. that's kind of akin to a lyme's disease rash, but they usually last a long time (mine did anyway.

Hope that helps

Carla
Old 09-21-2002, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would keep a close eye on it.

Depending on where you live, brown recluse spiders can be an issue. Their bites don't look like much on the surface, but the damage is being done under the skin. If it looks at all worse at any time, have a doctor look at it.

Maybe some internet research is in order.

That said, I had a spider bite once when I was a kid. The camp nurse gave me an anti-histamine to stop the allergic reaction. My whole ankle was swelling.

p.s.--DH says he'd just have a doc look at it.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 09-21-2002, 01:27 PM

My ds (15 mos) has had like 6 spider bites this summer (!), sounds like one to me. The 2nd or 3rd had the red circle around it (looked kind of bullseye-ish) and I started freaking out since I remembered that the bullseye thing was a sign of brown recluse which we do have in NC. ANyway, it was of course the weekend, so we went into weekend hours at our doc, since I was paranoid, and they said yeah, prob a spider bite but doesn't look serious. All this to say, most spider bites are not serious. First, wash it w/warm soapy water to wash off any remaining venom. Then, if it isn't blistery and doesn't have any red lines radiating out from it, it's probably nothing serious. If it does have either of those, then I'd see a doc.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:30 PM

My dd had the same rash looked like a misquito bite then developed a red rash around it looking like a ring. I took her to DR cause we live on 10 acres with lots of deer and this is typical for lyme which left untreated can be terrible. so against what i wanted i treated her with antibiotics and homeopathy and lots of Vitc and oil of oregano to boost her immune system and Probiotic to take care of the Antibiotics I would take her to Dr if you are concerned and watch it closely if she develops fever of more of that rash it could be Lyme.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! My dd said it didn't hurt and now it is almost gone so I'm not going to go to the Dr. Thank you all for writing though.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, if I didn't think I should be condemned for thinking this way, I would say that my son's tick bite and the subsequent search I am doing on MDC about Lyme disease was all just some divine order for me to reconnect with old friends from IRL! The other thread I checked had a post from someone I was very dear friends with in CT and haven't talked to in probably a year and now I scroll this one and see PAFlower and think, "Hey! I wonder how Heather has been!"
And I read: 'My 4yo DD' and thought, Holy Moly is this an old thread!"
Apparently she never developed Lyme Disease, so that's encouraging. The school nurse called me to say Morris now has a bull's eye around his bite, so I'm a bit concerned. I kind of want to drive down to ******'s and ask around the Amish community before I go to the peds since they told me things like, "eczema and allergies (like to dairy) are not related." Ummmmm...hellooooo???

So how have you been?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
I kind of want to drive down to ******'s and ask around the Amish community before I go to the peds since they told me things like, "eczema and allergies (like to dairy) are not related." Ummmmm...hellooooo???
That's what I did a couple of years ago! My "interview" with the Millers wasn't as insightful as I'd hoped - they just said they have known people with Lyme & they went to the doctor & got abx.

If he has a bull's eye, I'd treat - I've read some awful Lyme stories.

Hi Heather!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Metasequoia, you're in ******'s area? And you know Heather also? And we haven't made friends? I think it's time we did! Nice to meet you, I'm Kate!
PM me, let's all get together this summer and play, what do you say? You and yours, Heather and hers and me and mine and anyone else you know that would want an MDC playdate.

Good news on the Lyme - found a Lyme Defense tincture from Herbs of Light and gave that with some high potency garlic and the next day the whole thing was clear except the scab from where dad pulled the tiny chunk of skin off when pulling out the sucker-pokie part of the tick (what IS that called? proboscis??) I am still giving the remedies for a few more days to make sure its not a "false negative."

User Tag List